Pipped!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smoothmule, Jan 23, 2010.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    My first Serama eggs from my Serama's that I got from Jerry's Serama's are hatching [​IMG]
    I had 8 eggs and candled at 10 days and took 4 out that were obviously not good, one was infertile the other 3 had started to develop but failed to progress. These 4 continued to progress normally and one has pipped tonight so I'll be on egg watch.
    Wish us Luck [​IMG]

Also, today I had 3 eggs in the nest box from the same 2 little hens and rooster. I also have a very sweet and small pullet that I raised from eggs I got from a neighbor (fellow BYC member). This little pullet has laid 2 teeny pullet eggs but hadn't gotten started laying the regular sized eggs yet and she wanted to set so I gave her 3 eggs from my hens from Jerry and she's setting like a good little mamma.

I'll be on pins and needles and I'm so happy I'll be off work the next 2 days to make sure they get any attention they need.
    [​IMG]

2. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Good luck with those babies! [​IMG]

3. Oldredhen

Oldredhen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Congrats! It's exciting isn't it! [​IMG] Good luck

4. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thanks [​IMG]
    Just peeked and a second one has pipped [​IMG]
    I'm heading back to try to sleep a while but I'm betting my mothering instinct keep me from sleeping long.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:we need pics of the parents, and i know this is a no-no, but i incubate my seramas pullet eggs, especially when im trying to breed for smaller size

6. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I had no one wanting to set them so I just picked them up a few days and had the incubator running. There's still just 2 pipped this morning. I'll be watching their progress closely, I have helped my Serama's out of the egg in the past but I want to give them plenty of time. I put a couple of warm, wet washcloths in the incubator to get the humidity up. Last time, the struggled because the humidity was too low.

7. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Congratulations!!! [​IMG]

I have 2 that pipped today too!

8. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Of the 4, I have 2 very robust chicks. One is yellow with a bit of black and the other is black, no telling what they will be when they feather out [​IMG]
    They are "really" active and I'll be putting them in my little brooder (aquarium set up as a brooder). They get to live in the living room a while and watch TV. lol

There are 2 more and they were candled as good so they may hatch or not but I'm thankful for these 2 sweethearts. Talk about all over the place! I have only gotten blurs for pictures. I'll have to wait till nap time

9. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on fuzzy butts!

10. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thank you Everyone !
    Bec, How are you r little pips coming along? What are they?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by