Pipping and they are still in turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shanachie05, Mar 7, 2013.

1. shanachie05

shanachie05 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Northshore of Boston
    My eggs in the incubator are pipping because i forgot what day they were set. The eggs are still in the turner.
    I set up an identical incubator for warmth and humidity and do not know if i should risk messing with the eggs in the turner
    One chick hatched and is almost dry. Should i move it? Its flopping around on top of the turner.
    Should i move the eggs? Will they shrinkwrap and the chicks die if i open the incubator?

I have been perusing the forum for some info, and am tempted to do nothing, but decided i also want whatever advice or affirmations members may be inclined to offer.

I'm scared silly. These are my girls' own chicks from my own rooster. First. Time. Ever. And very emotionally involved.

Thank you in advance for anything you might be able to offer...

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I have hatched chicks in a turner before. as long as the turner is off it will probably be ok, just a little rougher on them. I don't know what humidity you are trying to achieve or what the difference is between your incubator & hatcher is. If you think you need to remove it , take it out. Simply get a spray bottle with some warm water in it & spray it into the incubator after you done. It will help bring the humidity up faster. -- Don't panic, they actually are really pretty tough little buggers.

3. shanachie05

shanachie05 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    Northshore of Boston
    Thank you.
    I did manage to remove the turner. Three have pipped, and two of those three are rocking and peeping like mad. I moved them as quickly as i could, and watched the humidity rise back to where it was very quickly. They have been peeping and rocking all night so I am trusting that they are pretty tough. It's nothing new to Mother Nature, just new to me.
    Scared stiff for them, but I went to bed to nap, because i know I will be peeking at them all night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by