Pipping at 40% Humidity - Staggared Hatch - Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hennypenny99, May 7, 2011.

1. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I had a staggered hatch. I was incubating my own eggs when a girl at work asked me to put some of her eggs in my incubator. I was new to this and didn't really think it through before I said okay. Well her eggs were about 7 days behind mine. Mine hatched last weekend and hers were in there with mine during the hatch. I know this was hard on them. About 5 out of the 10 made it through and were showing movement.

Welll I ordered guinea eggs that went in right after mine hatched. So my humidity for my guinea eggs is at 40% and her eggs are ready to hatch. One has pipped and I am not sure if it would be better for me to just turn the turner off and leave the incubator shut or if I sould open it up and add a sponge to help up the humidity.

I don't want to get it too high and hurt my guinea eggs but I want hers to have a chance too.

Aaahhh! I need another incubator! [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are fine to up the humidity and take them off the turner for 3 days. Please don't open the bator unless you are in a steamy bathroom to add water. The other eggs will be just fine.

3. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    What about turning the guinea eggs while these are hatching? Should I not turn them or I was thinking of letting these hatch in the turner and only plugging it in long enough for my guinea eggs to get a slight turn so I wouldnt have to open the bator.

Thanks for responding!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by