Pipping at wrong end of egg! Pics of hatched chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rsarns, Jun 27, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Lots of chirping but pipped at wrong end of egg... it seems to be trying to zip it... Should I help it or just wait? YIKES!!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I've seen a few pip and hatch from the wrong end it happens about 5% of the time or less with my hatches. I wouldn't help unless its been trying too hatch for over 15 hours... just watch and sit on your hands [​IMG] this is what I have to do offten!

3. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Appreciate the responce, it had been trying since yesterday... so I decided to intervene. Peeled shell back and she got out, her head was tucked under so she couldn't get out... she seems to be doing ok so far... no blood... clean shell, so we will see.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Most of the time even when they pip on the wrong end they do OK. They do need to be positioned correctly, but if they are and they can bust out (pip) then they are fine. The big end is where the aircell is, but some just skip that and go right for the outside source of air right away. I found it happens more often if the eggs are lying on their sides instead of sitting big end up.

5. rsarns

Apr 25, 2011
    Here are pics of the 1st 2 to hatch yesterday, they are in the brooder, next pic is the one I "helped" about an hour or so ago.... she has been all over inside the 'bator, chirping and carrying on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Ahh looks like you did the right thing! Good job [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by