pipping...but its too early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Feb 17, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    is it normal for eggs to start hatching too early? what would cause that? too high temp? will it cause any problems to the chicks?

2. Heluerto

Heluerto Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Banbury, UK
    Likely that temperature is a bit high, how early are they? If it isn't much, and temperature wasn't up by much, then they should be just fine. Just keep an eye on humidity to make sure they don't stick to their shells

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    humidity i cant get above 55% ive tried kitchen paper, wicks etc but it will not go higher. they are 1 or 2 days early. till now 4 have pipped (out of 16)

4. josh

josh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I run my humidity about 45% to 50% when hatching, works good for me no stuck chicks. I have eggs that where due to hatch 2/18. They started hatching 2/16. These are all fully developed and doing great. Have 6 out so far.Have 2 more pipping. I know I don't have alot of post but I do alot of hatching.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just got in from work, one little chick is fully out and try but cant stand? its legs look curved? i cant get a good look at it but i think its deformed [​IMG](( will have to wait till a few more hatch and i open the bator [​IMG]
    its either a cochin bantam or a chabo..i think chabo as my cochins were buff coloured!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If the average incubation temperature is a little high they can hatch early. If it is a little low, they can hatch late. I've had an egg pipping when I went into lockdown after 18 days. That egg hatched OK and the chick did well.

Different humidities work for different people. Mine usually jumps from 65% to 85% when mine start hatching. I don't remember what type of incubator you have, but make sure the top is on straight. I once got the top back on a bit wonky and my humidity dropped. Temperature was fine but not the humidity. That's how I knew something was wrong.

Humidity is controlled by surface area of the water. The more surface area, the higher the humidity should be. Setting up additional surface area should have helped. I'd need pitures or more information to even try to understand what happened.

Don't panic about them looking pitiful after hatch. Be patient an give them time to sort it out. You'd probably be a bit misshapen at hatch it you had been squeezed int hat tiny egg shell. I'm not saying there is not something wrong with that chick, but suggest giving it time. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck with the rest of the hatch! It is extremely exciting and nerve-wracking, especially the first time.

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i nipped out to get the kids from school; come back and 2 are out 2 are half way out!!! last time we hatched chicks they took hours to get out from the first pip, these are doing it in super quick time!!

8. Bobby Joe

Bobby Joe Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2010
    tupelo,ms
    I just had my first hatch on the 5th and they looked really weird when they came out but all is well now. my humidity didnt go up either even with wicks and more water. My eggs hatched early as well on the 18th day and I believe it was due to higher temp like ridgerunner mentioned. Just dont freak out like I did and you and the chicks will be fine. Good luck and congrats on you new chicks.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:How early do you mean? It's pretty normal for them to pip on Day 20, and on occasion, on Day 19, but they usually don't hatch that same day if they pip on 19.

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    its now day 20, we had the first pip yesterday (day 19), so far all that have pipped today have totally broken free from the shell within a few hours. they shouldnt even be pipping until tomorrow [​IMG] ive had the temp at 38.5 - 39 degrees, humidity at 40 - 45%. is that likely the cause?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by