Pipping Chick keeps pecking in one area! Update in my last post.CHICKS

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SandyC, Jun 25, 2008.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Question.

My first chick that pipped at about 10 last evening, is pretty much peaking in the same area. I can see his little beak pecking in the area where there is no shell. Does that mean trouble? How long can they go for? Is there a point I should help?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Sandy,
    mine did that for 24 hours! Finally made it. Give it time, it's probably just resting!

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had one that did that on my last hatch, I waited almost 24 hours and decided to help it out. Big mistake, it hadn't absorbed the yolk and didn't make it. I would leave it alone, maybe it's just killing time [​IMG] . I had another one that did that after that one and I left it alone. It pecked that area forever, then all of a sudden zipped the shell so fast my daughter barely made it upstairs in time to see it.
    Good luck
    Krista

4. SandyC

I have TWO that have hatched!!!! The little chick in question, still has it's beak outside of the shell and no further progress. It been nearly 24 hours. There are at least two more eggs that look like they are active and doing something. Is it going to hurt the other eggs with the two newly hatched chicks crashing into everything?

5. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I dont know probably not.

6. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    If those two have dried then you might want to move them to your brooder. [​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Give him time. My first chick that pipped last week was almost the last one to hatch. It was pipped well over 24 hours before it finally started zipping. I assume it was still absorbing the yolk sac.

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Chicks take 24 hours or longer from a pip to zipping out...resting absorbing the rest of their yolk sac and learning to breathe...it does not hurt the other eggs for the chicks to be bumping into them...sometimes it even helps for the remaining chicks to break free of the shells, they hear each other peeping...its called patience for your hatch to finish.....

9. SandyC

Well, thank you all for your encouragement. The two peeps that are out are ALL over the PLACE!!!! I thought they were suppose to be resting and tired!!!! The one with it' s beak out has been cheeping . I think it IS encouraged by the other two. I have several other eggs doing stuff too, but I can't tell what is going on because the other two have rolled them over!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by