1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pipping chick!! too early??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmmama14, Mar 11, 2014.

1. farmmama14

farmmama14 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    Were on day 18, was doing a quick viability check before lockdown and one of my eggs pipped!! He's rockin and rollin and peeping like crazy!! Its been a few hours and aside from peeping no more effort seems to be coming from him. Should I help him?? This is my first hatch!!

2. gatorshark75

gatorshark75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2014
    wewahichka, florida
    do not help him let it happen naturally and as far as it being early its normal 21 days is an average if the incubator was 100 degress it will make the hatch happen early

3. farmmama14

farmmama14 New Egg

Mar 11, 2014
    There's 6 more eggs rocking and peeping! Is it bad they're not to 21 days? We kept the temp at 99.5, and except when candling them or turning them the incubator wasn't opened.

4. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Well just let the eggs stay in there. As gatorshark75 said 21 days is an average, they can also hatch earlier. The baby chicks inside the eggs can't count and will hatch when they are ready not necessarily day 21.;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by