pipping eggs... foamy liquid coming out of one, help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicky_madness, Apr 5, 2009.

1. chicky_madness

chicky_madness New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    This is our second batch of eggs, the first batch was fairly straight-forward, out of 5 eggs we got 3 chicks. This time we have 4 eggs and 3 pipped yesterday and the 4th was rocking so we were excited that chickies may be here soon.

This morning when I got up the first egg that had pipped (and had also made the most progress) now has some yellow foam that is sitting on the (small) opening and some yellow liquid had run down the side of the egg. I hear some cheeping but can't tell which egg it's coming from... so has anyone had this happen? Yellow foam does NOT look good, and there isn't much more progress on the hatching. There's about 1/2 an inch of cracking done.... any input is deeply appreciated!

p.s. these are fertile eggs we got from our neighbors

2. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    i would think the one with the yellow stuff didnt make it out in time!! [​IMG] sorry but it sound slike the chick made the whole and wasnt strong enought o get the rest of the way out and now the stuff in the eggs is coming out. wait for a few more replies and see what everyone else says about it but after that if it was been long enough you could open the egg.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Someone had this happen in a hatch this last week.
    Hopefully they will reply
    Something about the yolk getting pierce by a toe? so a kind of shalac was oozing
    I believe with help the chick hatched and is fine
    But I'm a newbie so if you candled and there was life in there, get help before you help or toss

4. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I had a foamy one once on my very first hatch. I ended up helping it out. It was a very sick and deformed chick and I had to cull it. I had a great hatch from the rest of the eggs, but something was wrong with that poor little one. I would not help it. Just leave it and let nature do it's thing. [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch.[​IMG]

5. chicky_madness

chicky_madness New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    thanks guys. Solsken farm, I was thinking along those lines, that if it can't get out maybe there's a reason [​IMG] anyhoo, I'll put an update when we figure out what's up. I think chicky is gone, because I haven't seen movement but I'm also running around after my toddler and can't give it 100%

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    This can also be caused by your humidity being too high. You get sticky chicks.

7. chicky_madness

chicky_madness New Egg

Apr 5, 2009
    well sadly that chick was dead. I think if it hadn't happened in the middle of the night we may have been able to intervene... hubby opened it up and it seems like it drowned or something, it had the foamy stuff coming out of its beak. The egg had a VERY thick shell and membrane. So sad. Well, we have one fluffy butt out of the 4, she's (?) cuddled up with a sock and basking in the box. One is pecking but no pip yet, and the other may be close to hatching soon. Ahhh the suspense is killing me! Last time I swore I'd buy chicks instead of hatching, and I'm feeling the same way again [​IMG] But then they're so stinking cute, I forget about it all once we have them hatched and tottering about.

8. Devunisaacs

Devunisaacs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2016
    Canada
    My hatchling egg is leaking this white foamy stuff not yellow stuff, Does anyone know why this is happening or if this has happened to any of you, if it has please give me some tips
    thanks[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by