Pipping from the bottom?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tracylhl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I've got my first incubation attempt at 20 days right now. I've got one that was quite noisy last night and this morning has a little hole in the bottom of the egg. Now, it seems to be doing nothing. Not even moving. I've got a second egg that's rocking and peeping but no holes yet. My real concern is that first little guy. Is it normal for them to do nothing now and to have their first pips on the bottom of the egg? All the pics I see have it on top. What about the ones that aren't doing anything yet but were moving and doing well when candled 2 days ago? Will they pip and hatch faster or if they haven't started by now, it's unlikely they will?

2. Biddylover

Biddylover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Tennessee
    Ive read on here they can come out of the smaller end but it is harder on them. Makes you wonder about the one from last night, I hope someone responds with some encouraging news (sorry for my incorrect terminology and misunderstanding where the little one is piping out) still hoping the lil one comes out soon [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  3. tracylhl

tracylhl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Myakka City, Florida
    I mean, the one that started pipping has a hole on the underside of the egg. It's laying on it's side (the egg) and the hole is facing the ground, or the bottom of the incubator. Not of the top where it's easily visible. Seems weird that they would try to peck toward the ground.

4. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    The pip isn't the small end of the egg then, it is facing the floor of the incubator on the large end. Well I just finished up a 100% hatch (my first, others were more like 50% and less with shipped eggs) and I did have one that pipped on the bottom, I didn't even know it had pipped until it was zipping around. It hached fine.

They do take a break and it can take a while from the first pip to when they zip, it is important now to keep the humidity correct so they don't dry out in the shell.

I even had one chick that pipped on the small end of the shell during a previous hatch, I did end up helping her hatch after 24 hours because she just couldn't move enough to zip.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by