Pipping help needed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natvinyl, Aug 10, 2014.

1. natvinyl

natvinyl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2014
    Hi all. I have reached day 20 of my first ever batch of eggs in an incubator (apologies if I sound like a real beginner). I have 20 eggs in the incubator. One hatched today and 6 are pipping. However, one has pipped a triangle out of its shell but the membrane has remained intact below the triangle. Is the chick struggling to get through the membrane or is this normal? The others seemed to poke their egg tooth through straight away. ... I'm a real worrier :/. Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    chicks in the egg pip a hole and rest getting used to air and absorbing egg yolk for up to 24 hrs. sit on those hands.

3. natvinyl

Aug 10, 2014
    Thank you. I was just worried about the membrane still being completely intact below the shell hole - I have read so much about being unable to break through the membrane. Thanks for your help :)

4. natvinyl

Aug 10, 2014
    Oh and the other thing - the hatched chick is now running around knocking all of the other eggs all over the place. Is this ok? Will it harm them?

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think chicks running around bumping encourages a hatch. You def don't want to help unless the inner membrane is brown, the belly button is too raw if you help. If you do encounter a raw belly button you put flour on it. don't help until
    day 22

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by