pipping help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robbinsroost, Feb 4, 2011.

1. robbinsroost

robbinsroost Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    Please help! My first hatch, chick has been peeping since last night, looked in this morn, and chick has made a start to pip, chick is peeping and kicking, how long before I should help or what, don't know how long chick has been trying!

2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Just sit back and watch. It can sometimes take up to 24 hours for a chick to hatch once it starts to pip. I have had some take slightly longer than that but others how went from pip to hatch within half an hour.

How is your humidity? Have any others pipped?

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Sit on your hands. It will be ok. good luck

4. robbinsroost

Sep 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    [​IMG] upped humidity to 75% still air bator, I think one of the 3 isnt alive, besides this one pipping, I don't want to open bator, I don't know how U all do this I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown!

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Take a deep breath and breathe. I know the feeling. Did this last month. it was the 1st time. Don't panic. I know easier said than done. Just know we all went through it. And if you need to vent we are all here. [​IMG]

6. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:Go shopping! It is easier when you are not at home. I have mine hatch during the week when I am at work but it never failsÂ…. I seem to take a day or two off anyway. [​IMG]

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    While in the egg - the chick breathes through the umbilicus attached to the membrane. When the chick pips - thats the signal to the membrane to start shutting down & letting the chick breath on its own.

it takes quite a bit of time for the membrane to shut down - can take more than a day. If you "help" you may cause the chick to bleed out if the umbilical cord is still circulating blood to the membrane.

Just leave it be - some wont make it - but many will.

If yours is kicking & cheeping it sounds plenty strong to do this on its own!

8. Pascal PicklePants

Pascal PicklePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Quote:I had my nervous breakdown last night...its par for the course. I was up til 5am watching chicks hatch! Everyone who's posted so far is right, it can take a while. I was worried to. 3 of my welsummers pipped and then did nothing for about 18 hrs, then all of the sudden the all started zipping, hatching......now i think they are in the bator having a cigar!.......not that I condone smoking mind you.

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    I help baby chickens out if they are not out by 12 hours after pipped. If they are peeping in eggs and I can see their bill in end I will pip egg for them too. Especially turkeys and geese. Their shells are so much harder and hard for them to get out. I cut down death loss to close to very few chicks not making it out of eggs.
    To Safely help baby chicken out of egg. A chick alot of times will have blood veins around the exterior of him and if when you slightly tear white coating around the chick and it does not bleed alot then you can help him. If it bleeds alot is too soon to help him. Peel off the egg shell leaving the white membrame in place around the chick. Have a hair dryer going to dry chick and help with warmth. Make sure and not get to hot in front of blow dryer, check settings. I have roll of white thread handy, scissors, hemostats, papertowels and extra light so I can see real well and not accidently break vein. The hemostats I use if I accidently break vein so I can clamp it till I get it tied off so chick does not bleed to death.
    After removing every piece of eggshell off of membrame, cause shells can tear veins. you tear white membrame only enough to get head out and take down over chick and place chicks legs over side of membrame as to not kick it off. The chick kicking membrame off is major obsticle. Lay chick with head up on washcloth higher than rest of body cause of fluids. Dry with hairdryer. You have to be careful to not break veins hooking chick to egg membrame. I then dry membrame a while keeping chick from kicking it to break and take paper towel and dob egg white from cords. The membrame has fluids in it the chicks need for strength and absorb it when drying. Then i cut white thread tie off cords before clipping them free of membrame. Dry chick with blow dryer and you will have successfully helped chicken hatch.
    If you rush them to much egg yolk will not be up inside of them. You can push it up inside if halfway out and drying it will make it stay up inside. Be careful to not make chick bleed and not break egg yolk cause is fragile. Then you can tie cords and clip them. Make sure you cut cords after tied so tied part is by chick and membrame is not tied off. When I help one out I will take some pics and try to show you.

10. robbinsroost

Sep 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    [​IMG] Is upping the humidity ok? I have one other I am sure is alive, omgosh, I can hear it peeping and I am 10 ft away! I know this egg pipping is large, when I candled before lockdown not much space left, is this what a man feels when his wife is giving birth? I am shaking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by