Pipping in the 19th day -Picture heavy

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I have eggs supposed to hatch on tomorrow. One egg pipped today. Just a little hole. I really didn't expect any to hatch because........1. I have only one roo for 25 hens and 2. I haven't done this before.....3. it is a home made incubator. It seemed the incubator was doing good with the heat then it spiked one time up to 103. I didn't see it but the thermometer has a button to tell the high and low that has happened and I accidently hit it and saw that it had spiked. I don't know for how long. Anyway. I did some candling and found some of the eggs were clear and some had blood rings so I took them out. Most of the others I couldn't see through so didn't know what was going on. So now I looked in the morning and one pipped......It just chirpped at my daughter when she picked it Up and chirpped at it. I was upset she took it out but too late. It looks like I will be up all night watching it. LOL

Last edited:
Good luck to you and be patient. Sometimes it takes a day from pip to hatch. Just keep the lid on it and keep the humidity up.
fl.gif

Thanks for the incuragement. I really need it. I am supposed to go to lunch with a group tomorrow but am thinking about staying home. I have waited so long and was really not thinking I was going to get any to hatch that I want to stand over it and watch. LOL

Sometimes I think it's easier not to be there. Keeps us from being tempted to open the incubator or help them out when they don't really need help. Again don't rush it. Relax and enjoy!

Well, the little out hatched out. He was really quick at it too. Once he started he didn't stop. I did have to take him out of the incubator because I had some cracks between the wire and wall and he was getting caught in them and too many eggs in there he was getting caught up between the eggs. I put him under a light and at a hundred degrees on the edge of the light and he has been staying right around the edge where it is that temp.
I was really worried last nite because after I put him in the box he just went to sleep and didn't move around much. I was not wanting to come and look this morning but he is still alive and moving around a little. Is that normal? I thought they just got up running.
wee.gif
But I haven't hatched any eggs before. So I don't know anything. He just doesn't seem to get up on his legs. He moves around but seem lethargic.

I have another one pipping this morning. Another easter egger. I have an easter egger roo. I don't know how long this one has been pipping but it is just a tiny pip so far.
I am planning some improvements in the incubator that I now see can be improved. I want a different screen with no cracks. I want to drill holes in the water heater thermostat to make it more accurate and I would like to be able to change the temp from the outside. My son is the builder and hopefully we will be able to do that.

Here are some pictures Sorry about the blur. it was hard to get a good picture with my crappy camera.

Looks like he has a mohawk but it is just the fluff that has dried there. LOL

Oh, I just found another one pipping that is behind the thermometer. I had to move the thermometer.
This one is unzipping right now.
the green one is still just a little pip.

I hope they both make it. I may have made a mistake with the days. I do have an old brain so it could be easy to do. LOL

Congrates! My chicks took about 2 days before they really got up on their feet. Just make sure they have enough room that they can get away from the heat if they want to. I hatched a quail once and cooked the poor little thing.
hit.gif

I have had chicks before just never hatched them. so I know to have the heat so they can get away from it. They have been hanging out around the edge of the light circle where I have the themometer that reads 100. I had to go to the hatchery to get supplies for them because I wasn't expecting them yet. Show you should start early preparing. LOL I love turkens and mine or old so I got 4 babies to go with my new ones. I had two pipping green eggs when I left and when I came back I had two more babies. That is 4 out of 24 so far. I am going to leave the eggs in for another two days anyway to see what happens. Since none were supposed to hatch before tomorrow. These two new one are dark. I am thrilled with that. Hope they are hens. I do need another roo so I wont complain too hard if I get an EE roo.

I went through 6 roos before I got one that is nice. He is good with the hens and doesn't try to get us. I had some that were so hard on the hens. The hens would run like crazy to get away and some that were hard on us trying to get us every time they would see us. They didn't last long here. I just hate having to raise them and they are so pretty and then have to do away with them. But I can't stand a bad rooster.

heres some new pictures with the new ones first. The turkens are so sweet and gentle that it isn't a problem having them with these babies.

Back
Top Bottom