Pipping - now what?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TarHeelBlue, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    How long after they pip should I expect them to start the zipping process. I know with chicks it can take up to 24 hours before they start. I have a pip, and can hear the little guy announcing himself (or herself) to the world, but so far no further progress.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Ive had them take 2 full days after pipping to jump out! just sit back and relax and let mother nature take it course-whats the humidity and temp? and what day are you on?

3. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    Yippee, it popped out this morning. I have the temp set at 99.6 and the humidity at 75-80. I have 2 other eggs that haven't done anything yet. Today is day 29 - maybe day 30 (don't have my calendar here) I know one was viable, the other was iffy. How long do I wait?? I have heard up to 35 days.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:yes up to 35 days:) congrats on your first baby!!!

5. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    thanks, I can't wait to get home and see it all fluffed out - girl or boy?? It's a Pilgrim so I should be able to tell according to all the stuff I have read. I am excited. Thanks for your help. It's hard to sit on your hands and wait LOL, I am just thankful this little one decided to pop out just as I was leaving for work, so I got to see him.

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, the auto-sexing thing is a nice theory. It hasn't worked out so well in practice for me. I ended up with 3 viable goslings out of about 15 total eggs. The first one hatched and had dark legs and a dark beak. Based on everything I read and saw online, I was sure it was a girl. The second one hatched and looked identical to the first one, dark legs and dark bill. I had a 3rd hatch that was lighter in the bill and legs, and I was sure it was a boy, but it died at 2 days. Finally, my last egg #4 hatched, and it too had the light beak and lighter feet, and I was sure I had 2 females and one male.

EXCEPT, fast forward 3 weeks -- # 1 is definitely a female, she is feathering out all gray. #2, that I thought was female, is getting white down and starting to feather white. #4 also appears to be getting whitish down, but its darker than #1, but not nearly as dark as #2.

At this point, I know I have 1 female, and believe I have 2 males. But on the 2 males, I'm not willing to commit to anything for a few more weeks.

I hope yours less ambiguous. I'm just glad they're healthy and growing, but its getting a little nerve wracking -- all I can keep thinking of is the "It's Pat" skits from Saturday Night Live, where the gender of the protagonist was deliberately ambiguous. I've just been calling them my little "Victor/Victorias" for now.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  7. TarHeelBlue

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    loL That's great. Hope mine are a little easier - but actually it doesn't really matter - I'm just so excited to get them to this point. Thanks for all your help - I may have other questions so I hope you don't mind being a resource.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by