Pipping on bottom Half.. Dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckcluckcharlie, Jul 27, 2010.

1. cluckcluckcharlie

cluckcluckcharlie Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Hey all.... I need help! Today is day 21... One hatched early this morning... 5 Pips, problem is one egg is pipped on like the bottom, about a 3rd of the way up. Should I flip the egg? Is he upside down? Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I'm not a chick hatcher, but somebody here must have had this happen...

3. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I was sure hopeing someone on here would see this "before it's too late". Just scares me and I know I shouldn't be. Do you know how bad I'd feel for not helping if I should or for helping when I shouldn't? I'M SO CONFUSSED... lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I lay most of mine on their side with a damp paper towel to hold them in place. I don't want them rolling over and drowning. I would turn it! But that is just me. It's really your call.

Congrats and God Bless!

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Is it breathing? Has it gotten its nose out through the shell or is it drowning? Is the air cell dislocated or is it just pipping on the wrong side?

If it's breathing, it is probably ok. The biggest danger of a wrong-side pip is when they pip the membrane, pip the shell, and don't get their nostrils out of the shell. They will promptly drown in the egg with no air cell to breathe from. You may still want to watch this one VERY carefully and be ready to help it at ANY moment if it gets itself into a position where it may not be able to breathe.

If it is ONLY a matter of his face being on the bottom, turn the egg upright- you don't want fluid leaking downward over its nostrils and drowning it.

Be aware if you do choose to help- if there are others pipped or pipping, opening the incubator to help one will affect the others and possibly lead to you having to help them as well. When you reach in to grab this one, have a spray bottle of warm water ready to spray in as you sneak the egg out and when you sneak the egg back in to keep the humidity up.

Good luck!

6. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I just looked again. Actuallly when I first noticed this it was about 10 this morning. Bigger hole than I thought. if there is any kind of fluid in there, I think it would have drained out by now, or poor chicky would have drowned by now. Seems that it is bigger than when I first noticed it. So, I've decided to let it go. I just went spastic when I first saw it. HOWEVER, I want to thank ALL OF YOU that offered help. This is my second time of hatching. First time ALL eggs had loose air pockets, and several did drown with the other chicks banging them, and rolling them around, so I thought this time I would use the egg carton so I know the pockets are at the top. I do think I like this way better. I cut the sides down low enough that it's easy for them to tumble out. First little guy knocked the whole top off at 1:30 last night... sat in there till 3. Now poor feller keeps looking at all the other eggs like he's thinking "WHERE YOU GUY AT?" I feel so sorry for him. Anyway... thanks again everyone. I'll let you know what happened. Oh Oh > I hear 2 peeps at one time... [​IMG]

7. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    [​IMG] awww, he's sitting by the one thats got the biggest pip. He peeps then the other one does. Like he's saying "hurry up" and the other is answering back "I'm trying" Way to cute. This is stressful !!!! [​IMG]

8. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Nose is poking in and out one the bottom piped egg. I think he will be okey. Still not gonna help YET. He'll probly stay in there till late tonight... just to stress me out more...haha

9. cluckcluckcharlie

May 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Still pipping but doing real good this morning. Has accomplished more in the last hour than all day yesterday. I think being at the wrong end just made everything harder for him. Thanks everyone!

10. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Come on little one, yey [​IMG] Hope all is still going well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by