Pipping on the bottom of egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chase Family, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Chase Family

Chase Family Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2013
    Arkansas
    Well today is day 23 and this is our first hatch in the incubator. I am a little confused because most pictures that I have seen the chick pips the top of the egg. I have one egg and the pip is on top and another I see shell but can't see were it is pipping. Is it normal that a chick might pip on the bottom of the egg? Just really want to make sure this first hatch goes ok as the kids and I are very excited.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Some chicks pip in odd places on the egg. Or, its possible that it pipped on the top, but the egg rolled over and its now pipping on the bottom. I've had eggs that have done this (rolled over), and they've hatched fine.

3. Chase Family

Jun 19, 2013
    Arkansas
    ok that makes me feel a little better. Any idea how long the pip to zip should be about? It has been over 3 hours and I have not seen anymore done on the egg with the bottom pip. The egg pipping on the top has gotten a little bigger and I see movement and it has only been about 1.5 hours.

4. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    From what I've read it can take up to 24 hours for them to finish after they pip. Hatching is hard work and the poor babes get worn out.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Do not be alarmed if the pipping stops... the chicks do have resting time... it is perfectly natural for them to take a break now and again.

6. Chase Family

Jun 19, 2013
    Arkansas
    ok thanks I will be patient and watch

7. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas

How did it go with the bottom pipper?

8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    my last batch the chick pipped not near the air cell, but turned its self to finish the other way.

9. OrpObsessed

OrpObsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    East Texas
    My bottom pipper didn't make it :(

10. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    Awww. [​IMG] I'm so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by