Pipping on the bottom of egg

Chase Family

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 19, 2013
Arkansas
Well today is day 23 and this is our first hatch in the incubator. I am a little confused because most pictures that I have seen the chick pips the top of the egg. I have one egg and the pip is on top and another I see shell but can't see were it is pipping. Is it normal that a chick might pip on the bottom of the egg? Just really want to make sure this first hatch goes ok as the kids and I are very excited.

Some chicks pip in odd places on the egg. Or, its possible that it pipped on the top, but the egg rolled over and its now pipping on the bottom. I've had eggs that have done this (rolled over), and they've hatched fine.

ok that makes me feel a little better. Any idea how long the pip to zip should be about? It has been over 3 hours and I have not seen anymore done on the egg with the bottom pip. The egg pipping on the top has gotten a little bigger and I see movement and it has only been about 1.5 hours.

From what I've read it can take up to 24 hours for them to finish after they pip. Hatching is hard work and the poor babes get worn out.

Do not be alarmed if the pipping stops... the chicks do have resting time... it is perfectly natural for them to take a break now and again.

Awww.
hit.gif
I'm so sorry to hear that.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom