?pipping on underside - with egg carton *pic* !progress!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OCchickens, Apr 23, 2009.

1. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    [​IMG]

So these are my 2 eggs (started w/ 7, won't go into the details, have them in this carton 1st time b/c I have other eggs due next wk that I want to protect from rolling eggs).

I've hear chirping since last night, soft, not too steady. Someone suggested they could have pipped on the underside & if so it was important to flip them over.

What do y'all think? What about the "opening the bator" thing? Can they still zip if they pip the underside? I never worried about this when I just laid them on wire mesh.
    Thanks!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I believe that's only when they're in the carton with pointy end down. Yours should be fine as is.

3. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    yay! It's got a nice little window now with the beak poking in & out, & it had rolled about 1/4 so I can see it now. It looks like it did start on the underside, unless it did all this in 30 min. [​IMG]

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

pipping- Yeah! What kind of eggs are these?

We had to open the bator once on my last hatch. I did it quick and then sprayed a mister bottle of warm water just as I closed it. It worked okay to keep the humidity where it needed to be.

5. OCchickens

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    That egg that was pipped was a silkie & hatched about 1/2 hr later. I was needing to leave the house, & didn't expect it to progress that fast. I ended up being 1/2 hr late because I couldn't pull myself away. I also was worrying it wouldn't be able to push its way out even after it had fully zipped, because the way it was lying horizontally, it was hemmed in on either side by carton. Hadn't thought about that. After watching it struggle for 1/2 hr I ended up putting a wire through the vent hole & lifting up the big end of the shell. It popped out with the next push.

It's cute & looks so tiny! I would post a pic, but should prob. go to bed instead.

No progress yet on the 2nd egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by