pipping question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluedawg, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bluedawg

bluedawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    I have an egg that pipped 48 hours ago. No sign of zipping. Should I help it? It's due date was yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  2. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Can you see any movement/breathing?

3. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    yes, breathing movement.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Whats your hum at ? Have you opened the bator a lot ?? Have any of the other chicks hatched yet ?

I wait 48 hours till I help, just remember if you help you MIGHT end up with a chick that has problems (chicks that dont/cant get out of the shell somtimes arent mean to be) unless your hum is real low and he/she is shrink wraped in there.

There is a sticky at the top of the page, read that before you help also.

When I help I take the egg out of the bator place on a paper towel and SLOWLY peel the shell and the membrane away. If you see bleeding (a lot) stop wait a little while and start again. Once you start to help you will most likely have to help it all the way. Keep tweezers and a warm cup of water near you so you can wet the membrane a little while peeling it away. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

5. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks.

6. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I would help at this point. Have you seen needmorechickens double-yolker "helping" video? It's a bit long, but it's awesome.

7. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    Thanks, I did read the two "sticky" posts at the beginning and they were very helpful. I probably opened the bator too much. I had four different groups of eggs in the bator at the same time. This was the last group to hatch and this is the only chick from that group that showed signs of hatching. I will leave the others in for a few days but I don't feel very good about their chances. Somehow in my reading a gazillion posts and instructions etc. I missed the part about "do not open the bator once the chicks begin hatching." I did help this chick out and it seams week. we'll see.

8. bluedawg

Jul 7, 2008
    Croton on Hudson
    update - she's doing very well, except for curled feet.

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Do a search (at the top of the page) on curled toe, there are boots you can make to fix that !!

I'm glad she's doing good !!

10. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Whoo-hoo! Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by