Pipping question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluckfan, Oct 4, 2011.

1. cluckfan

cluckfan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    I have a egg that pipped last night with a lot of activity. Today all is quiet and the hole in the shell is not quite dime size but appears dry..... Have one other hatched chick that looks great. This hatch was made up of bonus eggs given to me, We were not even sure that they would be fertile. This is day 21. Just concerned that this chick may have died in the shell??????? I have another hatch in the next bator. The conditions are exactly the same. Six of seven hatched there. They were out very quickly. What do you think?

2. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Hi there, some times they will pip and then go quiet for a long time before they finally zip and hatch. I had 1 pip and then nothing for 36 hours, when it did finally start to zip it was hatched in 10 minutes. Good luck with your's.

3. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Quote:Thanks I will keep my fingers crossed. Whta about the chick thats in there. I hate to open the bator. How long can he stay in there?

4. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I think they are fine for up to 3 days after they hatch, the yolk they absorb keeps them going for a few days.

5. cluckfan

May 17, 2011
    Bloomfield KY
    Yep kinda knew that, just hate to see him by his/her self. My orps were dry and fluffy so I put them in the brooder box. They are running around like hyper children. Then they crash under the heat light. I will give it another day or two and hope the other eggs hatch. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by