Pipping questions...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eksterhuis, Feb 7, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Two eggs had pipped when I got home from work at 6pm last night, just the shell not though the membrane, no wobbling or cheeping... This morning (6am) the 2 that had pipped aren't moving still and no change in pipping... In the mean time I have had abother 4-8 pip and there is a lot of cheeping and the odd wobble going on... I have increased the humidity and let the be. What is going on with these two? Is it OK that they havn't pipped though the membrane? Are they just tired chicks having a big rest before unzipping?

This is my first incubator hatch, normally they are under a hen and they seem to pip and unzip a lot faster under a hen as I set some at the same time as this lot under a broody and I have 6 out of 11 chicks already hatched out there! (One died half in half out which was sad)

Any tips to keep me sane while at work would be amazing!

Thanks

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Yeah! Chicks and pips! So exciting! Just try to focus on your work and keep your mind on your job...oh who are we kidding - with those chicks hatching out it's too hard to focus on anything else! LOL!
    [​IMG]

It can take a while for them to finally break out and zip the shell once they start to pip. It just depends. I've had them take almost a whole day and other times they're out of there in a flash. But I would not mess with them or open the bator until all who are going to hatch have hatched. Even if they start football kicking each other - leave them alone or you risk shrinkwrapping the ones that haven't come out yet - been there - done that - not a pretty sight and definitely not something you want to repeat.

I am of the camp that says - if it's meant to happen - it will happen. And while I want to jump in there and rip that shell open and pull out those babies - I know that the best thing for them is to let them come out on their own in their own time. If you decide to help - do a search on this site or the internet about helping chicks out of the shell to get an idea of what you would be dealing with doing it.

So maybe when you get home they'll all be hatched out and starting to fluff up a bit? Congrats again! And take lots of pictures!

Here are my two latest. Mixed chicks - EE pullet & White Leghorn roo = adorable yellow/white fluff balls :)
    [​IMG]

3. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    Is the membrane meant to be broken as well as the shell when a chick pips?

4. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've noticed that sometimes the outer shell will be broken at the pip site but the membrane remains intact. Then later the chick will peck more of the shell and the membrane will tear open. My last hatch was like that for one of the chicks.

5. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    I am just very worried as my first incubator egg to pip, pipped about 24 hours ago and seems to be still and the membrane hasn't been broken. I fear it may have died in the shell :(

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

I'm sorry - sometimes that happens too. It's sad to see them get so far and then not hatch. Some people do help them out of the shell - but I've found it best to let them do it themselves. You can try to help - look around for info on that. However be careful not to sacrifice your entire hatch for one little one - I did that by accident once and I won't make that mistake again. Also sometimes it can take 24 hours for them to break out once they initially pip the outer shell. Hang in there.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by