1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pipping underneath egg question, please help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bigbird, Apr 18, 2016.

1. bigbird

bigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I have a goose egg that is pipping under the egg. I'm worried it will suffocate. Should I turn it, or is this ok? Thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It will probably be OK. However, if you can turn it without shrink wrapping it, do so.

3. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    How would you suggest I do that? Other that lifting the lid and turning it, I don't know what else to do. Thanks

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Can you stick a wire (perhaps a bent wire) through the air hole and move it?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  5. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    No. It is a Rcom20, and a coat hanger is too think, and anything smaller that that wont stay hard enough to do anything.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sorry, that's all that comes to mind.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are worried about losing humidity from opening it get a spray bottle and fill it with warm water, open re-position the egg, spray a few pumps of mist into the incubator and close it back up...

If it's pipped on the wrong end, you can use a toilet or paper towel tube to make sure the pip is top dead center and upright...

[​IMG]

8. bigbird

Nov 14, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    That's brilliant! Thank you!

9. tkessock

tkessock New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Im on day 24 of incubation (mallards)..tomorrow would have been lockdown but when I went to turn the this morning one had pipped on the bottom. I put it right back and shut the lid. Should I have turned it so that the pip is on the upside?

10. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I generally rotate them upward so I can better observe zip progress, but it's not necessary if the pip is on the air cell side of the egg... I's much more critical to turn it upright if it's pipped on the wrong side were there is no air cell, but even then many hatch perfectly fine with no intervention...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by