pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by babychicks7, Jul 2, 2016.

1. babychicks7

babychicks7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    missouri
    i have a chick at day 18 is cheeping and has externally piped a small hole ..i heard it cheeping yesterday morning around 8am it is still cheeping this morning when i checked on it the membrane seemed a little dry, do i need more moisture ? from what i read not to get it to high or it is to hard on them with high humidity and trying to break out ..it is now Sat 8:30 am and i first saw the pip and heard the little one on friday 8am should i wait a bit or give it a little help?

2. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I wouldn't help unless they haven't started zipping in in a day and a half from when they've pipped. But first, candle the egg and check for blood veins. If they are prominent, it needs more time. If you don't see any then go ahead and arificially zip the egg. If you see blood even if it's just a little, it needs a few more hours. Then try again. Then place it back it in the incubator and it should just be a able to pop out itself when it's ready. To keep it humid enough, use a fine spray bottle with warm water in it and spritz in there every once in a while. Your humidity is not too higher unless you see condensation on the windows. If you do see condensation just open it for a minute. If you see the membrane is dry, you can use Vaseline on the membrane to keep it moist.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  3. babychicks7

Jul 10, 2014
    missouri
    ok thank you so much when i last checked the humidity was around 45% it is a brown egg so it is hard to see but i will try

4. babychicks7

Jul 10, 2014
    missouri
    at 10:35 the chicked popped out and now have another one pipping [​IMG] will get pics in a bit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by