Pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greathorse, Oct 25, 2008.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I know this quesion has been asked and answered a hundred times but here goes again. I checked on my eggs today at about 3 pm and I have one hatched and a bunch pipping. This is day 20. What is the normal length of time for them to get out of the egg. There doesn't seem to be a lot going on since 3 oclock. I do hear some ticking through the door, but the size of the holes has not progressed.

I know that I will not open the hatcher for another couple of days but just curious if several hours between early pipping and more progression is considered normal.

I think my temps and humidity have been quite good,so I have no real reason to worry, just that this is my first hatch, so dont have much to go on.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    could take up to 48 hours !!!!! Keep sittin on those hands !!!!! Good luck, Hope you get lots of babies !!!! What breed are they ?? Ohhh and dont forget the pics !!!!

3. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    22 black jersey giants from BirdsnBees and 12 blue jersey giants that were crossed on a Blue orpington from a local source.

Hope I get a great hatch

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    What is your hum at ??

5. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    It has been at 58% steady as can be since they went into the hatcher. I have two more this morning. It is interesting that three of the 12 local eggs have hatched and the rest are pipping while so far I see no pipping on the shipped eggs. Today is day 21 so hope to see more action today

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    You might want to try to get your hum up to 65ish, add a couple of wet sponges !!! What do you keep your hum day 1-18 ??? Well, shipped eggs are handled MUCH different than local eggs so I must say that doesnt surpirse me !!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by