Pit bull and chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jossanne, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've had 24 chicks in my house for the last 8 weeks and just couldn't stand them in here anymore, so yesterday I finally got a little cage ready for them outside and moved the 14 packing peanuts into it. I have to think about what to do with the 10 bantam cochins until they're ready to integrate with the older girls, so they're still in my computer room.

Anyway... this morning when I went out to check on the babies outside, their cage was ripped open, and they were all standing next to it. I got a couple of kids to come help me, and we put them back into the cage. We counted 13 - one was missing, darn it. I put a cinder block over the hole in the cage, and took the kids to school.

I didn't think about the dog's tether being long enough to reach the cage, as he doesn't bother the chickens. He sleeps inside, and so I didn't think it could have been him that let the chicks out.

I went outside a few minutes ago, to find the cinder block moved away from the hole in the cage, and the dumb pit bull laying in the middle of 13 8wk old barred rock cockerels, with the biggest grin on his face. I got the chicks back in the cage, moved the cinder block back over the hole, and moved the dog's tether. I called my husband, who said he had thought it must have been the dog that let the chicks out this morning, as he'd gone outside to potty when DH was getting ready for work, and didn't come back in the house for a few minutes.

This dog has been letting the cochins out of their brooder every chance he gets for the last couple of weeks. I've got them in a rubbermaid tub, with a piece of window screen duck taped down on one side, with clothespins holding it in place on the other so I can have access to them. When we don't pay attention to the dog in the house, he sticks his fat nose into the brooder, knocking clothespins loose, and letting the chicks out. Then he just lays there in the middle of them, letting them climb on him, with his big pit bull grin on his face.

OH and a happy ending to the day's story... when I went out to hang laundry on the clothesline, I heard a baby peeping out in the weeds, and found the lost one out scratching around happily. The older chickens and the cats weren't bothering him. I caught him, and stuck him back in the cage. 14 packing peanuts again!

Now what to do to secure the dumb temporary cage...

Here's a pic of him last week, after letting babies out (with our temporary house chicken just for fun):
    [​IMG]

2. NRacine

NRacine Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2008
    He just wants some buddies! One of our pits runs immediately to the coop when we let him out. He just loves to watch the girls peck about. I think he secretly wants to be their rooster.

3. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I think Patch just likes his chickens free-range...

4. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    Great story... I love hearing about different species getting along together. Like when my neighbour's German shepherd comes over to visit the neighbour's cat (who lives here), she licks him! That's so cute!

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Can I please have your dog? [​IMG]

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    That's cute... it's the same look mine gets... like a ... what the heck are you and why are you covered in feathers and do you like to play? LOL

7. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I am glad to see someone elses pitbull loves chickens. My daughter lives next door to me and her two pits are always coming over here. They walk right past the chickens freeranging. Could care less that they drink from their water pails etc. Its amazing how some are so mistreated and mean then you have the lovers like yours and my daughters. Just goes to show it isnt just the breed. My own dogs would and have chased the chickens. I would never let them out with the chickens.

8. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Patch killed six of my first flock of chickens when he was about 7 months old. After that, my DH really worked with him with all the birds, and he's really good with them now. We had one duck for a while, and she napped in the shade with him every day. He just cracks me up. And you should see him with kittens! He's a good little orphan kitty caretaker. I've got pictures of him on my puter surrounded by 13 little kittens, and he's got the same funny expression. When we go for walks, DH puts the leash in his back pocket, and Patch just walks so calmly right next to him. I see so man bull dogs who almost pull their owners' arms out of the socket when walking on a leash.

These dogs are amazing. With the right love and training, they are the best, calmest, most loyal guys on the planet. We really do love ours, and he's a HUGE part of the family. I'm glad to know there are others out there who feel the same way.

9. ChickenGirl95

ChickenGirl95 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    New York
    Aw so sweet!

10. GanjaXD

GanjaXD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:Lol, that's gross xD.

But I loved the story! Just too cute :].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by