Pit bulls in my coop!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HazelCMAS, Mar 14, 2013.

1. HazelCMAS

HazelCMAS Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2013
    Long Beach, MS
    Sunday morning I woke up at 7am to take my dog out. I glanced over at the coop as I always do and instead of seeing my chickens, saw 2 pit bulls staring back at me. I screamed for my husband to get the gun but it was way past too late. My 11 chicks (only 7 weeks old) were gone, my coop was damaged, and well...my Sunday afternoon was spent crying over my chickens. These dogs tore holes through 1/2 inch hardware cloth and corrugated siding to get to the chicks. They pulled screws out of the wood. I built the coop knowing there were dogs in the neighborhood. I had no idea they could do so much damage. Stupid animals were clever enough to break in but couldn't get out so we called the Sheriff and he had animal control come get the dogs(Hubs refused to shoot penned dogs even if it was MY pen they were trapped in)....the owners were notified and decided to surrender the dogs to avoid a citation. This isn't the first time their dogs have eaten a neighborhood animal. Two months ago they ate a neighbors Beagle.

I have 28 more chicks in brooders in my garage. I am going to build a better mousetrap/coop. I've decided to move the coop 10 feet from the house, hot wire it, and buy some guineas. If we have another attack I will hear the commotion and shoot the dog long before it eats ALL of my birds. At the very least, he'll get a "thrill up his leg" when he gets zapped by the wire.

We are thankful it was not our dog or our kids that were attacked but I sure miss those chickens, they were my first.

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    So very sorry to hear that [​IMG]

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    You need to call Animal Control! I had the same thing happen to twice in a row last year. All my rabbits,roosters and my duck!

4. Shellz

Shellz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no! How awful! I've already checked my laws for my area. I'm good to shoot ANYTHING (except birds of prey) that's a nuisance on my property. I would not hesitate to use lethal force if that happened to me. I would not want these dogs to be alive to do this to someone else! I understand everybody has their own comfort level and laws, in regards to these situations. This is just my 2 cents.

5. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    I agree. I have no problem shooting either! I am actually going to go to school to be an animal control officer. There are way to many dog's freely running around!

6. Shellz

Good for you! I think there aren't enough to go around!
    The dogs that roam around my neighbourhood, seem to be harmless, but you never know! They've wandered onto my property, but haven't been near my chicken area yet. I'll be free ranging sometime soon, so I'll have to be watchful! I won't shoot unless its intentions are clear to harm my birds. Same goes for feral cats. They're good in my books with all the rodents they've been getting around here, but better not harm a single feather on my chickies! My biggest concern is foxes. I may have to actively hunt them, call them in for a shot. They do so much damage! Ugh!

7. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    Just looked at your location! Do you think you'll have a problem with bears? I don't know if they go after chickens but they remind me of big dogs always hungry!

8. Shellz

Interesting you mentioned that. My neighbour across the road shot one in his compost 2 years ago & trapper neighbour down the road had one in his yard last year. I've never seen one, they're not too common. I have a crossbow & .243 rifle. Hmmm,...maybe I should get some stronger ammo for that. We have ammo to take out large coyotes, but bear? Best to be prepared. I get coons coming in the night, but don't bother birds when locked in coop. Coons clean up the feed the birds spilled during the day. Li'l hoovers!

1 person likes this.
  9. Megan Amber

Mar 13, 2013
    We have mostly oppossums,dogs and cats along with predatory birds. A crossbow! Now that is my kind of cool!

10. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Sorry about your loss!! If you don't want any worries with something going through your run fence then use woven wire for the new run. My coop/run is within a goat pen and it had to be built really STRONG. Woven Wire no-climb horse fence will keep any big predators out. No way can a dog go through this stuff! I have seen dogs go through electric fencing as if it wasn't even there.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by