Pitbull constantly coughing

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by KarateHorse, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KarateHorse

KarateHorse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Our pitbull constantly coughs then eventually ends up puking. She is very active and always crazy but tonight she is not. I checked her nose and it is dry. She is still eating and drinking and pooping and she was still very active. It just tonight that she doesn't seem very active. I haven't heard her cough today yet. Does anyone else know what is wrong with her? Why does she keep coughing? Any advice is appreciated

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How long has she been coughing? Short term coughing can be caused by kennel cough or things like the dog flu. Long term coughing can be from things like congestive heart failure. Best to have a vet look at your dog to determine the cause and treatment.

3. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    I don't know how long it has been maybe 3 or 4 weeks.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would get him looked at, kennel cough runs it's course in about 2 weeks. Do you give heartworm preventive or are you in an area where it's more common as heartworm will cause coughing too.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Coughing can be caused by lots of things. I agree that a trip to the vet is a great idea! They will be able to look at him and his history to determine what may be the problem.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He may have congestive heart failure. Ours was coughing a lot and especially after drinking water. When I told the vet that, he took him off to x-ray him. He came back and showed us on the xray my dog's heart was greatly enlarged. He said he had never seen one so bad. We had to have him on heart pills . Said he might live another year with great care, he died in a few months at 11 yrs. of age. Our others including his son & daughter lived to be 14.

Our dog was constant energy for most of his life, the coughing started much later. He was my best friend and he went to the vet for checkups every 6 mos. in addition to regular appts. for shots, etc. I guess he didn't examine him very well all those times - if he had noticed at the start, my dog might have responded well to treatment.

Please do take your dog to a good vet that you trust.I hope he will be okay

1 person likes this.
  7. KarateHorse

Oct 13, 2016
    Update: We never took her to the vet or gave her any kind medicine she just eventually stopped coughing. Think she had something in her throat and finally got it out.

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it was most likely kennel cough. It's like the common cold in humans. They will usually get better on their own. There is simply always the chance of it turning into something serious like pneumonia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by