1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pitbulls *#@^ Dogs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by edbama2, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    Working nights, I usually try to sleep from 4pm until midnight. Last night I did not get to bed till after 6. My wife and step daughter came in the bedroom screaming about 830 that the dogs and the pigs were going crazy. I go out in shorts, flip-flops, flashlight and shotgun. My dogs finished barking seeing that I was now there and in charge but the pigs wouldn't stop. In their pen were 2 pit bulls tearing away at my alpha male. It took one warning shot to get them off of him. The extra shots just to make sure they got out of there fast. It was kind of funny watching them try to squeeze through a 6" x 6" hog wire until they figured out how to climb the fence. I then had to check the hogs while my wife in night gown drove to the neighbors house to inform them. I doctored up the only one that was injured the best I could at night with a flashlight. My wife came back and said the neighbor will pay for any damages and that her dogs will be gone before the night was out. I am waiting to get off work now to see how he is. I am thankful that they didn't get into the chickens and turkeys. They would have sat there quietly and I wouldn't have known until it was too late. Now I have to give my dogs some treats for protecting my animals. I don't like the idea of taking out a dog but, a pitbull that has had a taste of blood probably should have been put down. If they aren't gone when I get home they will be if they are on my property. :mad:

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow Ed, I am so sorry. I sure hope your pig is ok. I would have shot the dogs....THEN went to get the nabor, and said....come get your dead dogs!! Im sorry if I offend anyone but you have to protect your animals...they depend on you. So, no warning...just a few shots. Done!

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I agree should have just shot them dead, not wounded, dead. Some breeds of dogs should not be allowed in the general public's hands as they are much more dangerous. I had a pit cross kill our dog in front of my 5 year old daughter. Normal dogs bite/fight and it's over, pit and pit crosses don't stop till opponent is dead. Their bite is 10X stronger than normal dog, so more damage is done. They should be licensed just like a gun.....

4. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Dead dogs don't hunt. Aim to kill, always.

5. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    Pitbulls and Pitbull crosses are like the little girl with a curl: When she was good, she was very very good, but when she was bad, she was horrid! Sounds like your neighbor's pitbulls are in the "horrid" catagory and need to be put down ASAP.
    Hope your hogs are okay.

6. mamading

mamading Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2007
    Rhinelander, WI
    I agree on all of the above. I don't believe it when someone says that "it depends on how they were raised" That's a lie!! Certain breeds just can't be trusted because even the pit bull can't help they way they are. It's instinct. When they bite their jaws literally lock and 9 times out of 10 they go for the jugular of their victim.
    If anyone's dog came on my property and killed any of my pets I would shoot it dead. That's MY instinct, and I can't help that!

7. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Oh geesh Ed that stinks... stupid dogs. Well I should say stupid dog owners. grrrr :mad: I hope your pig is okay.
    BTW did yall go on your trip, how was it?
    Take care, Miriam

8. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    As I have said in a different post about@#$% Dog I have trianed dogs for a livin. I will defend Rotts. German Sheperds, Huskys, and a few others AS A BREED. But ever pitt bull i have been around are very scary. And I dont buy the line that the way they act is because of how they are raised. My middle oldest brother picked one up at the pound as a pup. HE mistaken it as a lab. WEll this thing grew up around a loving family with kids all around it. well the d!@# thing grew up, and became agressive. It wouldnt let anybady get through the front gate even if they did live their. The dog met its final demise when it went after my niece who was 6 at the time. She went out in the front yard to play and the dog came flying out from under the porch and attacked her. Amazingly enough she didnt get hurt to bad. I think that was because we were right inside the house and we heard her scream and we were their pulling the dog off. THis dog attacked a girl that it grew up with, this dog was NEVER tormented or treat badly. And yet it still turned on people. My brother shot the dog and then took it to a vet to have it tested for things like rabies, and all the tests said that it was free of diease. There was a nother inceedent I witnessed 2 yrs ago. My oldest brother (I have three big bros) was finally getting married and we were doing the rehersal and setting things up the nighgt before. Well my mom is a cake decorator and was doing the cakes. She was working on a bachlors cake which was going to be covered with chocolate covered strawberries. She ran out of chocolate and sent me and my sister in law went to go back to the house to get more for her. We got right at the egde of town and right in the middle of the road there was a pit bull trying to drag a yearling buck (deer) acrossed the road. The deer was still live and bleeding at the throat. I slammed on my brakes and and layed on the horn to try and scare the dog away but he didnt budge a inch. A woman that was living right next to this heard me honking the horn and came out side. By this time I had gotten out of my car with a can of pepper spray and had sprayed the dog down with it. THe lady called the cops, and they were their within minutes the had to shot the buck, and then he was getting our report when this D#$@ dog returned with his to buddies. THey asked me to ID the dog and When I did they tried to shot him, WELL they missed ( I would have thought a cop would have a better aim as the dog wasnt more than 15 ft away) So the dog took off up the road and we all followed him home, When we got their the police officer decided to go to the door and inform them of what their dog had done. And this dog came crawling out from under the owners car and lunged at the cop. Well THe dog died immediatly, he cop shot the dog and even managed to put holes into the side of the car. THe owners came out and started the whole spill about their dog wouldnt hurt a fly, and howe the cop had ruined their property. Well then we all gave them our story and they shut up quick.....They also got several tickets for their dog running loose in city limits, killing wild life, and attacking a police officer. So anyway that is what I have seen of these dogs. Most people that have them (not all) are in gangs or wanna be gangs, and they are used for fighting. THis is in their blood and can't be trained otu of them I have seen a lot of them around here and none of them look friendly. And I am sorry if I have offended somebody here but this is what I have seen of this breed, these are facts and I wont change my mind on this breed.

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Poor breeding is the BIGGEST contribution to aggression in American Staffordshire Terriers and American Pitbulls.
    Please read:
    "Temperament
    The American Staffordshire Terrier is a happy, outgoing, stable, and confident dog. Gentle and loving towards people. Good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more then to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Over the past 50 years, careful breeding has produced this friendly, trustworthy, dog who is an especially good dog for children. Courageous and a persistent fighter if provoked. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death if the enemy traps the dog in a corner and threatens its loved ones. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Some un-socialized Staffs may be dog aggressive. Socialize very thoroughly when young to curve any dog aggressive tendencies. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained and socialized, the Staff makes a great family companion. This breed is not for the passive owner who does not understand that all dogs have an instinct to have a pack order."
    Every idiot thinks they can breed their dog and make money. It is dangerous and irresponsible. Sadly, Pitbulls aren't the only ones with this problem - many poorly bred black labs are filling the shelters because they are so bonkers.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  10. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I do agree with you on that chickbea. But it is very scary to think about what the breeding has turned out. I know that any dog can become aggressive if not properly handle. But it seems the pit bulls are out numbering any other breed in attacks. This is soley due to like you said people trying to get rich off their dogs. Then you get the idiots that think dog fighting is cool and profitable, and they start breeding to bring out the more agressive temperments. What they have done is sick and wrong. Any ED I am going through the same problem. As soon as you get homefrom work take pictures of your poor pig. That way you will always have evadence, incase it has to go to court. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by