Pithing and blunt Trauma to Head: Video Request

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by punk-a-doodle, Mar 20, 2012.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    For those who choose pithing or a whack to the head to dispatch their birds, could anyone post a video? I've only been able to find videos of lopping the head off and cutting the veins. I take that back, I found one pithing video, BUT the veins were cut first. I'm trying to compare killing methods, trying to figure out which one I'd most be comfortable with, and videos are by far the most helpful. I've found that the head lopping off is definitely not for me unless I use some sort of secondary method or technique so that the head isn't looking around/gasping afterward.

Much appreciated.

2. LILCHIKBIGCHIK

LILCHIKBIGCHIK Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2012
    South of Boston
    Axe or machette is the only way, you cant screw it up. Hold the bird upside down for about 15 seconds, the blood rushes to their heads and they relax and just about sleep, put head on stump and go to town....Pithing is what barbariens do and jungle savages

3. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sweet! I love jungle savages. :)

Anyone? You can also PM me to privately email me any videos if concerned with feedback.

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'd like to see this too...

5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Punk, I know this isn't an answer to your request, but since you mention you are researching different killing methods, I thought I'd ask you if you have you looked at the "English method" at all. Also sometimes more descriptively called "cervical dislocation." I don't hear it discussed as much as other methods. But it's my favorite method for young birds and hens, because it's got less of the "gruesome" factor of decapitation and less mess, but it's just as quick and sure a kill. I personally consider it a little more civilized (not that I have anything against other methods if they work for people). You can do it with just your bare hands too which is handy, but there's a little bit of technique to it. This fellow explains it really well in this article (which btw is a great resource) if you want to check it out: us/article/Butchering-Killing.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by