Pizza? Peanut Butter? Stale Potato Chips?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3KillerBs, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    I've got a large family and we're the house the young adults all hang out in so I get some odd leftovers at times.

My spare kid is assistant manager at Domino's. Some mornings, after he worked closing, I find a pizza box on the counter with something like a marginally burned Hawaiian or a mis-made combo. If I'm pitching a few slices of dried out pizza can the chickens have one?

The 7yo is a slow eater. Sometimes he doesn't finish his PBJ at lunch and I find it in the back of the fridge a couple days later -- stale and unappetizing though not spoiled. Can the chickens have that?

You can imagine that a house with multiple young adults around ends up with a lot of almost empty bags of chips after a D&D night or a LAN party. Can the chickens clean them up?

Dried up BBQ ribs? Cold french fries? Someone's unfinished bowl of chili? The new brand of salsa that was on sale which turned out to be NASTY?

Assuming reasonable quantities, are there any random leftovers that chickens shouldn't be given?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Crowing

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes,yes,yes, yes... Chickens can and will eat it all. The only thing I would toss on the compost pile would be the salsa. I wouldn't feed them anything spicey. I have a Brahma that needs to be in a Lay's potato chip ad. She will do tricks for them. Just watch the.fat and salt content and toss some good healthy treats out as well.

3. dwalters

dwalters Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    They love all scraps. I agree..no spicy.

4. dwalters

dwalters Chirping

Jul 23, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Mine love old cereal

5. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    We don't chuck anything from the kitchen to the bin.. all for chickens... they eat everything and preferIit to chicken feed.... they like to each each other (lol jokes) because their favorite in chicken leftovers.. and they adore fish...

6. susychick

susychick Hatching

May 24, 2013
    They eat anything and everything mine get all of our scrapes we throw it in a can then dump the can in the chicken coop

7. upthecreek

upthecreek Songster

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    You got some GOOD advice from everyone !!!

8. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    They absolutely LOVE pizza.

Its the funniest thing to see them run after the one who has a pepperoni in her beak instead of pulling their own pepperoni up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: