Pl 90-492

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I am trying to find the definition of this. I am in the process of getting some labels created for my Chickens, Rabbits and Turkeys.

I plan on putting "Not Inspected", "Keep Refrigerated or Frozen"

And then was going to put Exempted under Public Law 90-492

Then Safe Handling Instructions

After that a few other things including a check box for Eggs to put on my egg containers as well.

Last edited:
I just tried searching it myself. This was all I could find:

ETA: Oops!
hide.gif
Typed in 192 the first time!

P.L. 90-492 Wholesome Poultry Products Act H.R. 16363 8/18/68

Last edited:
Public Law 90-492 is the 1957 Wholesome Poultry Products Act. It's the federal law that requires poultry to be slaughtered in a USDA-approved facility if you're going to sell them to anyone else. There's an exemption to 90-492 that says you can do on-farm processing and sales (and not need USDA inspection) if you do less than 1000 a year. There's also a 20,000/yr bird exemption (I've never understood how exactly this is different from the 1000 bird one), and an exemption if you're slaughtering birds for other people (note that according to the law you can't BOTH do your own birds AND slaughter for other people in a single year). Note also that state laws may impose further restrictions.

This USDA document explains it all pretty well: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/poultry_slaughter_exemption_0406.pdf

Back
Top Bottom