PL has gone broody! (PIC HEAVY)

plreef

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Eastern CT
This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. So bare with me.
tongue.png
I've been reading like crazy here on BYC about hatching. Hopefully I don't make any big mistakes and compromise my hatch.
jumpy.gif
Any feed back is more than welcome. I hope you guys tag along on my first hatching adventure.

I got myself an older Hova Bator and egg turner from a friend of mine.

IMG_3444.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

The eggs came from a BYC local Henrietta23. They are a barn yard mix of hens and a Silky rooster by the name of Daddy George.
D.gif
Thanks Kristin!!

IMG_3440.jpg

I have a regular mercury thermometer and a electronic temp and humidity gage. The eggs are in the bator at about 100* F. Humidity is at 51%.

IMG_3447.jpg

My wife made a calender so our kids can check off the days till the hatch date.

IMG_3442.jpg

If any of you see me donig something wrong please speak up.

Jas!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yay!!!!! You're very welcome. I'm hoping those eggs are good and fertile because the chickens won't come out of their coop with the snow on the ground. They've got to be doing something in there to keep busy!!
wink.png

That's identical to the Hovabator I borrowed from CES and had good results with it.

Barnyard mix-love it!! My little backyard is now considered a barnyard!!
lol.png

I don't see anything wrong with any of the pictures, just a blip in the text. You didn't get that equipment from a 'friend'. That is called an "Enabler" at BYC.
big_smile.png

LOL!
thumbsup.gif
You guys are awesome.

I did find that the PC fan I have is too big for the bator. I'll look into finding one that will fit it. The humidity is running at 59%. Is that too high or should I let it fly? Another thing that's puzzling me is that the mercury thermometer is saying it 100* and the electronic one is saying that its 106*. Which one should I trust?
hu.gif

The last thing I want to do is FAIL!
tongue.gif

Quote:
I know, I know! Um, I used a scientific glass thermoter that DH borrowed from school. The cheap plastic case thermometer never quite agreed with it. I trusted the school one. I was told my temps must have been a little high because the first chick pipped at 20 days. Can you pop a third thermometer in there? I know the CES school hatch was at 105 for at least a day and they still hatched 5 out of 8. I haven't done this in a year so I'll let the experts weigh in. If they don't respond here, I'd post a "help" question separately! I don't want you to fail either!

By the way Kristin the color combo of the egg are bootiful! I was admiring them earlier.
wink.png
Hopefully some of our hatching pros will chime in.

Also on a good note. I just ordered my chicks for this year and I made sure I ordered 2 EE roosters. Maybe in a few months I'll have some of my own fertile eggs to share with my new BYC friends.

Quote:
Thanks! My son calls his little egg business "Rainbow Eggs" I'm hoping to add more Welsummers and EE hens this spring or summer. Maybe even a Marans or two!

Back
Top Bottom