1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

PL has gone broody! (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by plreef, Feb 2, 2009.

1. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    This is my first time trying to hatch eggs. So bare with me. [​IMG] I've been reading like crazy here on BYC about hatching. Hopefully I don't make any big mistakes and compromise my hatch. [​IMG] Any feed back is more than welcome. I hope you guys tag along on my first hatching adventure.

I got myself an older Hova Bator and egg turner from a friend of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The eggs came from a BYC local Henrietta23. They are a barn yard mix of hens and a Silky rooster by the name of Daddy George.[​IMG] Thanks Kristin!!

[​IMG]

I have a regular mercury thermometer and a electronic temp and humidity gage. The eggs are in the bator at about 100* F. Humidity is at 51%.

[​IMG]

My wife made a calender so our kids can check off the days till the hatch date.

[​IMG]

If any of you see me donig something wrong please speak up.

Jas![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I LOVE the calendar!!! [​IMG] Very clever idea!!![​IMG]

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Yay!!!!! You're very welcome. I'm hoping those eggs are good and fertile because the chickens won't come out of their coop with the snow on the ground. They've got to be doing something in there to keep busy!! [​IMG]

That's identical to the Hovabator I borrowed from CES and had good results with it.

Barnyard mix-love it!! My little backyard is now considered a barnyard!![​IMG]

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I don't see anything wrong with any of the pictures, just a blip in the text. You didn't get that equipment from a 'friend'. That is called an "Enabler" at BYC. [​IMG]

5. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:That's where the eggs came from too! [​IMG]

6. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    LOL! [​IMG] You guys are awesome.

I did find that the PC fan I have is too big for the bator. I'll look into finding one that will fit it. The humidity is running at 59%. Is that too high or should I let it fly? Another thing that's puzzling me is that the mercury thermometer is saying it 100* and the electronic one is saying that its 106*. Which one should I trust?[​IMG]

The last thing I want to do is FAIL![​IMG]

7. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:I know, I know! Um, I used a scientific glass thermoter that DH borrowed from school. The cheap plastic case thermometer never quite agreed with it. I trusted the school one. I was told my temps must have been a little high because the first chick pipped at 20 days. Can you pop a third thermometer in there? I know the CES school hatch was at 105 for at least a day and they still hatched 5 out of 8. I haven't done this in a year so I'll let the experts weigh in. If they don't respond here, I'd post a "help" question separately! I don't want you to fail either!

8. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    By the way Kristin the color combo of the egg are bootiful! I was admiring them earlier. [​IMG] Hopefully some of our hatching pros will chime in.

9. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    Also on a good note. I just ordered my chicks for this year and I made sure I ordered 2 EE roosters. Maybe in a few months I'll have some of my own fertile eggs to share with my new BYC friends.

10. Henrietta23

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:Thanks! My son calls his little egg business "Rainbow Eggs" I'm hoping to add more Welsummers and EE hens this spring or summer. Maybe even a Marans or two!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by