place eggs under broody

jay1995

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
St. Augustine, Florida
I have a broody hen and I have eggs and I want to put them under her. But I have been told if they smell your scent on the eggs they wont touch them, then how do I do it. Please tell me what you know about it. Thanks.

Master S.M.C :

Use latex gloves before you touch the eggs and then place them under her at night so she doesn't move

Well they have have been touched already . Can I wash them wearing gloves and get the smell off? How can I get the smell off, is now my next question.​

I took mine out and put them right under her (My broody) . Wanted to add that I have done this with 2 broodys. It is just a myth.

That isn't true, same as it isn't true that a momma rabbit or a momma bird won't accept the babies if you touched them. You can stick them right back in the nest and the mother will continue to care for them.

Just pick up your eggs, put them under her, wish her luck and wait for your babies! You don't need to get the smell off.

Last edited:
If your broody truly wants to set, it won't matter if you've (and 10 others, in fact) handled the eggs. If she is determined to set, all she wants is some eggs. She doesn't care where they came from.

Back
Top Bottom