Place for chicks to roost!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimbo5387, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kimbo5387

kimbo5387 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    I have 4 chicks purchased from tsc and local farm supply store that are a week old. I was curious if anyone had ideas or suggestions on a roost/perch for them?! And is it time for me to worry with a perch/ roost or does it not matter how soon you so it?!

2. sweettea75

sweettea75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    I brought some sticks in from outside and my chicks love to roost on them. They aren't very high, but I find them on there all the time. My chicks are almost 2 weeks old and have been roosting for about a week.

I have their waterer up on a brick and one of the sticks is propped on the same brick.

3. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    I just threw one together with some scrap I had in the garage.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kimbo5387

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks!! Bricks and sticks it is!!!

5. miquwid

miquwid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Western NY
    My Coop
    you can just add sticks in the brooder for now they still will be sleeping snuggle up with one another. I have a slightly elevated perch but now that they are 4 wks I will be making it 2" higher. regardless though they seem to learn. a week ago I purchased two 5 month old silkie hens and 1 5 month old barred rock and in no time they learned to perch and not sleep in the nesting box, or on the floor or in the run. teaching young chickens is a little nerve racking but rewarding!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kimbo5387

Mar 13, 2013
    They def. like playing on their little brick and sticks!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Chicks don't "need" to perch. If you have meat birds, don't let them perch till at least 6 weeks old to
    avoid crooked keels(breastbones). Chicks would much rather have a "run-in shelter" where they can hide.
    Heat is not the only reason chicks like the EcoGlow brooder heaters. They also like the hover feature
    which allows them to hide underneath it like they would their mother hen. Chicks are not like puppies or kittens.
    Chicks are prey animals and like shelter. Puppies and kittens are predator animals and use playgrounds
    to practice hunting and pack skills which we humans call "play".
    Best,
    Karen

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  8. kimbo5387

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks Karen!! I am new to raising chicks so any advice is much appreciated!! I don't plan on using them as meat chickens!! My toddlers are already attached!! And I will figure out a shelter for them! That makes good sense!

9. MelSoCity

MelSoCity Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I just purchased a doll-rod from the hardware store. I am keeping mine in an old dog cage so I just rested the doll rod on the slats of the cage. I've heard chicks don't generally perch until they are four weeks old, but mine have been very curious and started perching right at two weeks. They don't stay up there for long amounts of time, but they do seem to be enjoying perching more and more. At some point they will probably start sleeping up there.

10. SonShine

SonShine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester, WA
    I put in two for my chicks, at ages 2 days and 9 days old. They are all still less than 3 weeks old and all seem to love sitting up there. The wood is about 3-4" from the floor right now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by