Places in Kansas with Peachicks or eggs for sale!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kfpelton, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Kfpelton

Kfpelton New Egg

Feb 17, 2014
    Burdett, KS
    I'm trying to price some Peachicks/eggs. Looking around to find the best price for them. I don't know if we are going to be buying any this year but i'd like at least 4 or 5 soon (next year). My husband is finishing up my chicken coop and we have about 20 chickens coming next month so hopefully by next year he will have a run for some peacocks so I have a place for them to lay and get in at night!

2. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Bradd legg is in kansas city. He has one of the biggest peafowl farms in the country

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Yes, go to Leggs web site. They have a huge selection and the prices will make buying from a small local breeder look much better. They are advertising eight one day old chicks for as cheap as $300 for IB and their choice of colors $350. all straight run. Or you can get 2013 hatch IB pair for $200, that is the cheapest then they go up to $2,500 per bird. Adult birds range from $175 to $4000.

That being said, most breeders around here sell their chicks for $35 to $45, yearlings $65 to $100, and two year old birds will usually bring $75 to $150 depending on color. Heart of America Game Bird club, has two auction every year in Gardner Ks. near KC and you can find peas there for the $75 to $150 range.

I have some 2013 hatch cocks that I will be letting go of, if you are interested PM me. If you are going to post on a forum you may want to finish your profile to include your location, it helps others to give you better information.,

4. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    KKB - I'm not sure if you are criticizing Leggs' prices?
    I don't have any personal experience, but from what I read here, they are extremely reputable - you will know exactly what you are getting, and they will be healthy. As is often discussed here, this is absolutely not always the case.

5. KsKingBee

Not a criticism, just fact. http://leggspeafowl.com/peafowlforsaleadults.htm I am only quoting what I have seen and what I have paid. I know that we have some local swap meets and small auctions where there is no inspection and sick birds run rampant in those places, but I have not bought any sick birds from small breeders. (yet)

6. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Well, Leggs sells 8 chicks for $300-$350 = $37.50 to $43.75 per chick, and you say the going rate there is $35-$45 per chick, and they sell a pair of yearlings for $200, and you say the going rate for yearlings is $65-$100. So it doesn't seem like they are really out of line there.
    As for expensive adult birds, I'm guessing that the type of people who really want to be sure they're getting an Opal White Eyed or Taupe or what have you would be happy to pay those prices. If you buy from a hobbyist, who knows what you are getting?

Not that I know anything about buying special pea colors - I just wait around to see what hatches here!
    I mutt peas!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. KsKingBee

It is still a world of getting what you pay for and buyer beware. The OP was looking for 'best price', and is shopping around. My observations are just that and one needs to consider the sources of the birds as well as the information given here or anywhere else. From a sellers standpoint wouldn't it be nice if everyone could get Leggs prices? From a buyers standpoint wouldn't it be nice if they were free? Most of us are happy to live somewhere in-between.

8. KsKingBee

I should have stated that the chicks I see for sale here for $35 to $45 are from two the six months old. I have not seen day old pricing locally. I have been told that the first few weeks are the toughest for peas.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I was reluctant to sell day old chicks last season just because they can be difficult for the less experienced, so I waited until they were older, but then they weren't "cute" and they were really hard to sell. Now I have most of my 2013 and no room to put more, lol, so need to figure out how to sell them and come up with a plan to sell any that I hatch in 2014.

@kuntrygirl , what did you sell your chicks and eggs for?

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  10. KsKingBee

Kathy, how well do yearlings ship via UPS?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by