places to buy 5-8 week old hens? san diego

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by resurreccion858, Nov 1, 2010.

1. resurreccion858

resurreccion858 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    im new to this and im pretty sure this is in the wrong section. but i live in san diego and im trying to get a 5-8 week old female chick. this is a family thing so we want something very friendly and not that big. so a bantam. we were looking into getting a silkie but its almost impossible to find here in san diego. so if you guys have any young hens your willing to sell please let me know. ive been looking and looking im desperate.
    again sorry if this is in the wrong section i am new here.

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    There's still a few hatcheries selling chicks and if you aren't set on a specific breed there are some that you can get sexed so you'll be guaranteed to have hens. Do a google search for hatcheries, quite a few come up. Sandhill Preservation, My Pet Chicken, Murray McMurray, Strombergs, and efowl.com are good places to check. Hope you find what you're looking for!

3. resurreccion858

resurreccion858 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    san diego
    Quote:thank you soo much!

4. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, you'll find that none of the hatcheries mentioned will ship less than 15 chicks, except mypetchicken.com.

There was someone ("Sweet Violet") from Vista trying to find a home for silkie cockerels recently. Look in the "Where are I? Where are you?" forum in the CA-Southern thread. You could also post what you are looking for to that thread.

Look on Craigslist in SD, but you might have to be willing to drive to Riverside County (or further).

Call around to feed stores in SD county. You might start with those listed on the "where to find organic feed" thread.

5. Sweet Violet

Sweet Violet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Vista CA
    Hi everyone, I found a wonderful silkie lover who took my splash roo. I know Country Feed Store in Vista by me always has pullets and they are still bringing chicks in from hatcheries. I THINK they advertise pullets only because I've heard them tell customers that they'll take back roos.
    Naomi

(P.S. We are talking about getting another San Diego meetup going after the first of the year. Check out the meetup section.)

6. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Quote:Maybe so but you can always sell the extras to make back the money you spend on shipping. Everyone around here grabs them up as quick as you can list them. I don't know ANYONE who can't get rid of their pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by