Places to buy small amount of vaccines?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RainCityChicken, Dec 4, 2014.

1. RainCityChicken

RainCityChicken New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Does anyone know if any place today, where I can order small doses of the Mareks vaccines? Or am I stuck with Jeffers and the 1,000 doses? I only have 4 chicks we are hatching with no prior birds. I know I can wait a week or two but would like to order it now to prepare.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I believe 1000 unit doses are the norm with Mareks, and they have to be given within a short period of time, so there is no saving the vaccine. Most of the places selling it are under $20, so it is still worth it for only 4 chicks. Randall Burkey and Jeffers are some of the handful of sellers. I have always read that getting chicks vaccinated at a hatchery is best since they have a better vaccine. Here is a link on administering the vaccine if it helps:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/how_to_vaccinate_poultry_chicks_for_mareks_disease/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  3. RainCityChicken

RainCityChicken New Egg

Dec 4, 2014
    Thanks, Ive read up on how to administer the vaccine and feel like I can do this. However, everywhere I have looked on the internet charges such a high shipping charge that its almost 50.00 to vaccinate them! I tried both of those that you suggested. Jeffers is the cheapest for me.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I don't think that many people vaccinate chicks at home if they haven't ever seen Mareks in their flock before. I had vaccinated chicks from a hatchery a couple of times, but all of their offspring have never been vaccinated. It is always a crapshoot, though with a disease like that. It is also quite devastating to get it in your flock. I don't seem to have it in my environment so I guess I am lucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by