Placing an 11 week old rooster with an Established Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mkeawsh, Jun 28, 2010.

1. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    Is there some way that I can place an 11 week old Faverolle rooster with an established flock? I have other roosters and they all get along. I have him now in a chicken tractor with his two hens. I just got the three from a person that just could not take care of them because of a growing family - including a brand new baby. She also is not that responsible when it comes to animals. Checking feed and water is an after-thought with her and so I was so happy to get them from her. Now I have a dilemma, I would really like them to be incorporated with my free-ranging flock but do not know if that is possible. I know the hens would do fine but what about the rooster? He is very laid-back and I would hate to see him get beat up. They were hatched, brooded and raised together. Any suggestions? I was thinking about putting him in the chicken house at night after they have all gone to sleep and hoping in the morning they would not realize that he has not been there the whole time. What do you think?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

You say you have the new rooster in a chicken tractor with his own hens right now? How do the free-ranging roos react when they see him in there? Do they ignore him or go up to the fencing and challenge him? Just before dusk one day, try letting those 3 newbies out of their tractor to join your main population in free-ranging. Give them an hour or two to roam & with luck they might have no problems. They should head back to their own home once the sun starts setting.Your other roos should guide the main group of hens to their home coop. You can give this a try - as long as you have the time to be near to stop any confrontations from getting out of controll.

3. mkeawsh

mkeawsh Woody Hollow

Sep 23, 2007
    Beaufort, MO
    I just brought them here yesterday and the roosters could care less. They don't even go over to them even though the tractor is right outside their house. The only one that I am concerned about we are going to have to cull because of becoming aggressive with the grand kids when they come over and that is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Even when I put out my young ones this Spring, the roosters did not even notice them except for that one and he only did it when I was around the little ones. I have a very none aggressive flock. The leader of the flock is very calm and non-aggressive but one of the best roosters I have ever had to lead. He keeps the other roosters in their place and the flock together - even though he is not the biggest physically - in persona he definitely is. [​IMG] I will give it a try tonight but I am not sure the three will even come out. They are very laid back and at this point, I don't think they are sure of their new surroundings. One plus is that if they do come out, they will go back in. I also took the tractor from this woman and so this has been where they have lived at her house after being brooded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by