Placing chicks under a broody - couple ?s

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mom2jedi, Jun 18, 2010.

1. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    So, after three weeks my white rock hasn't given up being broody. Picked up a couple chicks at the feed store today and just wanted to check on how I do this. She's my first broody in a flock of 17 chickens. It's early evening now but still light out. Can I put them in with her now or should I wait till it's dark to put them under her. I kinda want to see how she does with them while I can still see as the light in the coop isn't working right now. Help!

2. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Best to wait till dark. You can use a flashlight if necessary.

3. chickensnax

chickensnax Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    south Texas
    I've read many places that you should wait till night because they are more docile and then by morning they've already had the whole night together cheeping.
    But today I placed some chicks under my broody who really wanted to be a mom and she took to them right away and I just checked them a bit ago and she's got
    everyone tucked under her wings. but my other broody that I also wanted to give a chick too who is an american game who is alittle more wild jusut wanted to get away from me and pecked at the baby, so I took the baby away and gave it to my other broody who is a buff orp. My buff tried to hatch out some of her own but they didn't survive to hatch and it had been about 30 days, and she was always fluffed up when eating or if I was too close and was always clucking. So my opinion is it depends on the bird themselves. I just kept a close eye on mine and stayed near till I knew she wasn't going to hurt the babies. Good luck.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Waited till it was dark, then put them in with her. Everyone's doing fine this morning, she even moved them to a lower nest box so they are closer to the ground. [​IMG]

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    You are so lucky, and they will be a hoot to watch for the rest of the summer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by