1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Placing chicks with the flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 65browneyes, Apr 13, 2007.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Seems it's nearing time to put the babes and mom with the rest of the flock, but I'm having difficulty finding information on doing that. This young flock is coming upon 8 weeks, they have been raised by their mama, have always been outside, never with a heat lamp.

I know I have at least one rooster in the bunch (he's practicing his crow), and a second is very suspicious for being a roo (the two of them don't play together well). I have a silkie (about 2 years old) roo who is VERY nice.

Most of my original flock are about 2 years old, they are all standard/large size hens. Any thoughts on combining the two groups?

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    your question is easy to answer.you need to put them in a pen in the henhouse.so they can see eachother.an get used to eachother.then in a week put them with the flock at nite.

3. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Here are some shots I just took of my current set-up. The nursery sits against the original run. Hen and chicks have been here for 6 or 7 weeks now.

The nursery. Mom and most of the chicks are in there having a dust bath.

[​IMG]

This is the little boy who practices his crowing. He and his sisters are in a side pen because he's rather a bully to his brother(s). Notice his beard?

[​IMG]

This little boy (?) is a big chicken (as in fraidy cat). He's starting a beard of his own.

[​IMG]

As you can see, they've all been exposed to each other for weeks now. I "think" I can skip the intro's. I just wonder about the chicks size compared to the hens'. Should I wait until the chicks are bigger, or do you think they're big enough now?

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    when they talk about size they want the baby hens almost as big as the big hens.but i really think youll be safe by putting them in the big pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by