Placing my flock in their new home.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Giggles Chicks, May 29, 2016.

1. Giggles Chicks

Giggles Chicks Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Palm Bay, Florida
    We have a coop with a large run. Should I place my girls in the coop to start or the run? Any ideas to get them used to the ramp?
    Thanks very much:cd

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so glad you have joined us. You should consider posting an intro under the New Members forum to get a proper welcoming.

When my gals were almost ready to move out and the coop was getting the finishing touches, we placed them in the run for day trips and let them explore it. I usually had one helper come into the coop to supervise me :)

If the ramp has "grip" and a good angle, they should get the hang of it theirselves, but may need some coaxing to go up?

More information can help get the best responses:

How old are the gals? Are you ready to move them out or just give them introduction to their new home?

Could you post a picture of your ramp?

3. Giggles Chicks

May 26, 2016
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Thanks for the reply [​IMG]. My girls are 8 weeks and ready to move out.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The ramp is 8 feet long.

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA

That's a really great coop - I used a similar plan and also use sand, so easy to care for.

Looks like they should have no problem with the ramp. 8 weeks old - they are very ready to move out. I think you should go ahead and make the move. But be ready for a few sleepless nights of Mother Hen worries :)

Take some treats to entice them up the ramp and let them explore everything.
    We put ours out permanently when they were 5 weeks old and only one had even peered inside the coup at all. We did pick them up and lock them in the coop at dusk and let them out the following mornings for a couple of day. Then added a low wattage light in the coop to get them to go in at dusk and turned it off once they are safely inside. Once we added the light they quickly learned to go in without it.

Good luck with the move. If you have further questions, I would suggest posting under a more frequented forum - managing your flock would be best.

5. Giggles Chicks

May 26, 2016
    Palm Bay, Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My girls are in their new home

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    They are all so cute.

If they do have problems with the ramp, you can add the adhesive step grips - I found them at Ace Hardware but sure most hardware, building supply stores carry them.

7. Giggles Chicks

May 26, 2016
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Good Morning, thanks I will go there today

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Instead of gripper strips....
    ....you could just put a concrete block(16" tall) under the end of the ramp to make it less steep.
    ...or use a nice length of those tree logs in the back ground instead of a block....and a few more logs, they love to scramble around on some chunks of log.

Really nice coop and run!!
    Does the coop itself have a solid roof?

9. Giggles Chicks

May 26, 2016
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Great idea and nothing to buy. My husband is teasing me about the first egg will cost $1,000. Everything had to be perfect for my girls. Yes the coop has a solid roof and we cut out squares on both sides and 3 across the front. Can you give me any ideas on how to get them to go in and out on their own? Last night was the first time in the coop. We added a light on the inside and tried mealworms on the ramp. Thanks so much for the response

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's best to 'home' them to the coop by leaving them locked in there for a week....then let them out into the run.
    Even that might not get them going into the coop at nightfall....sometimes you've just got to catch them every evening and put them in the coop until they 'get it'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by