Plan of action for mites....Natural prefered

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollywoodHens, May 26, 2010.

1. HollywoodHens

HollywoodHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Hollywood, FL
    My flock of 26 has mites. They are definitely in the coop, and on at least a couple of the birds. They are the type that live in feathers.

I'd like feedback on my plan of action...And i'd really rather not use poison, but I will if I need to. Also, I am planning on this taking an entire day... is that about accurate of a time commitment?

I'm thinking I need to clan out the coop (I use deep litter method), then scrub with water, neem oil and Dr Bronners Peppermint. Let the coop dry and put in new pine shavings. (the coop is raw wood, will paint help kill/ keep mites out? I can paint the inside/ outside)

For the birds, a nice dusting of DE or a neem and Dr Bronners bath and blowdry?

Also, what should I do about the chicken yard....a fairly large (15x40) grass and dirt area...also, they do tend to range around the rest of the yard as well. Suggestions?

How about for preventing mites in the future?

Lastly, I typically put used shavings into the compost...will I infest my yard with mites if I do so? (I would assume the heat from the compost will kill them, but I don't want them jumping away and infesting before they die...the compost is a large aerated black plastic box.

Thanks for any advice

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a fact sheet from the University of California that you might find helpful in identifying exactly what type of mites you're dealing with, since that determines how soon you need to retreat your birds, coop, etc. to break the cycle: http://ucanr.org/freepubs/docs/8162.pdf

Personally
    , I'm all for using diatomaceous earth, neem oil, and some of the other so-called benign organics, but only as a preventative. If I had an infestation of mites or lice, I would resort to the big guns - the chemical pesticides that have been tested, proven effective, and approved for use on poultry. I'd want those suckers gone sooner, not later. In the case of mites, that means I have to use chemicals like pyrethrin and carbaryl (Sevin). Getting rid of these parasites entails hard work - not just once, but at least twice since nothing has been proven effective in killing the eggs of these despicable bugs. The second treatment is done to kill the newly hatched before they mature, lay more eggs, and reinfest the flock.

I've recently witnessed some threads about using chemicals vs. "all nataural" that became very contentious debates and borderline flame wars. It's not something I particularly enjoy, so to be clear - I'm only saying this is the way I would treat my own flock after weighing the risk/reward [​IMG] If you decide to go forward with your plan, I would ask you to be so kind as to come back and post your experience and your results with that treatment. I sincerely hope it is successful.

3. NancyinAlaska

NancyinAlaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Willow Alaska
    I use Buhach powder and DE. I put some in nesting boxes and dust bathing areas. It worked for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by