Planer shavings- Cherry?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wood&feathers, Jun 1, 2010.

1. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Just got a new planer and am putting a dent in all the cupped, rough sawn lumber in my garage. Those shavings sure LOOK like bedding, but I know some species are a hazard to chickens (and woodworkers) - such as walnut and red cedar. I have lots of cherry - would that make good bedding?

2. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    can't see why not, i'v never heard of any harming effects from cherry. but those are gonna be some ritzy chickens on cherry shavings. i'd get another opinion though, i'm not 100%

3. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    The cyanide compounds in cherry trees are concentrated in the sap, and thus in actively growing parts of the tree: leaves, cambium, bark. Shavings from dry wood should be pretty safe. Also, when dry, the cyanide in cherry dissipates (that's why wilted cherry leaves are sooo toxic to grazing animals, but dried leaves are not usually a problem).
    I'm not an expert by any means- just applying my cow knowledge. [​IMG]
    I used to use mixed hardwood shavings from my dad's woodshop all the time. Buying shavings gets expensive!

4. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Thanks. The wood I'm planing is all bone dry.

5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    i think alot of fruit trees have small amounts of cyanide, i know that apples do as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by