Planning a Flock for Spring

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kgstewart, Dec 29, 2014.

1. kgstewart

kgstewart New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Hey all,

Just introducing myself here. My husband and I are planning on starting a small flock of hens next year (maybe with a rooster in the future once we test out a few breeds), and I love all the information I find here on the forums (and all the different perspectives).

I'm in a rural town along the northern Wasatch Front in Utah. We've got about an acre of land, a toddler, and a Canaan Dog. Starting next spring we're going to get our chickens, plant some fruit trees, and grow as many veggies as we can while keeping our sanity. Haha! Right now we're planning on starting with 6 hens, all different breeds: Australorp, Welsummer, Light Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Ameraucana (Easter Egger if I can't arrange to get a true one), and a Silver-laced Wyandotte.

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your flock in the spring :)

3. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC & have a happy new year!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. You've picked out a nice selection of docile breeds. Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Easter Eggers are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorites. She loves their colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

6. kgstewart

kgstewart New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks for the welcomes!
    That's what I love to hear! I want my son to be able to help as much as his age will allow, so I tried to pick out docile breeds to try. Australorps have really stood out to me. Good to hear that they've been great for you and yours!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter loves our chickens.

8. ladywhynott

ladywhynott Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2014
    Welcome to BYC! I have found this whole website to be extremely helpful in raising my flock. How much fun to get started on so much at once. We started our flock this last spring. We are learning to process chickens this weekend. When fruit trees come into season here in AZ I will be getting those finances permitting and we will be planting our first garden. Enjoy your new flock and your busy homestead.

9. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Very nice selection of hens. You do need an EE. Gotta have green eggs with kids,

Dedicate a portion of your garden to winter squash for the chickens. They make a great winter vegetable treat when there's nothing to forage for or the ground is covered in snow. Spaghetti and butternut squash are mines favorite. Start your compost pile now. Put it as close to the coop as you can. Your chickens will speed up the pile 3 fold.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by