Planning a new coop, suggestions, must have ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 17, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    We are going to be moveing with in the next couple of monthes, I will get to build a new coop [​IMG] Or at the very least modify a shed,lol.Right now we have 10 hens 2 Roos and 2 ducks, once moved I would like to have about 20 to 24 hens 1 Roo, and I will be able to have a seperate duck area. I know I don't need 20+ nest boxes, I was thinking 10 or do I need that many? I want the "pop out" type of nest boxes, and I liked the idea of poo trays under the roosting areas, are there any more ideas that you experts [​IMG] think are must haves? And what would be a good general floor space would be? Also, How big would a run for 20+ chickens need to be? I like the idea of free range, but I don't like the idea of the birds out with all the horses and the property is pretty close to a highway, so for safety they will have to have a run. im sure once I get started i will have more questions but I need general ideas before we get to the building stage,lol.

thank you

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Automatic coop door for the chickens!

3. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    You need to go above and study "Coop Designs." Everybody posts a lot of pictures of their coops, and most have plans. I think it's safe to say that the plans there are better than online plans--I got very confused studying the online plans, but the BYCer's are much clearer on their pages.
    I have links to BYC member pages and threads on my two BYC pages, if that might help you. [​IMG]
    One more thing--don't be afraid that you cannot build one. There are many designs for buildings that you never walk into, therefore, they only need to hold their own weight, and that of your birds. [​IMG]

4. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks, its not that we are afraid of building but my husband works a lot of 12 hour days and I work full time plus we have 5 kids and school activities and other animals to chore and relocate so which ever way ends up being quicker and easier is the way we will have to go,lol!

Anyone else have suggestions or must haves for coops?

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Go to LOWE's or a Hardware Store that sells buildings. Buy a $1,500.00 WOODEN building with windows, adapt it, and you're good to go. One weekend to adapt the building, maybe cut some high windows for good ventilation, and another weekend to build the run. Sounds less time-consuming?
    Oh, better use YOUR truck or borrow somebody's because it will run $2,200.00 to have it delivered--I checked into it.
    Here's a nice 8 x 8 building for $1,449.00
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_102651-5765...000_4294816517 4294816361 5003708_4294937087_

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thats what I would like to do but my husband would keel over if we spent $1500 on a shed for chickens,lol. Im going to check CL and see what I can find there, or I was really liking some of the pallet coops I have seen.

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    for the chickens
    coop size 4 sq ft per bird and more room if are going to feeders n water in there and nest boxes then it need to be bigger.
    for the run size in 10 ft per bird make should to cover the pen too.
    nest boxes 4 bird to a nest box

8. redturtle

redturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    stanardsville, va
    the norm is 3 or 4 chickens in one nest box measuring @ least 12 x 12 x 12...

if you get a shed to modify...dont forget the ventilation.....

and paint the walls inside in semi-gloss for easy clean-up...

and add a poop board under the roost...i dont have one and i am regretting in (so guess what im gonna do when i upgrade my coop...lol)

just some suggestions...have fun

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Make it twice as big as you think your going to need. You can always stay with a small flock but if you decide to go bigger you can't if you've only got a small coop.

10. kidsnchicks

Apr 23, 2010
    Thats what my husband is afraid of,lol, the go bigger! We have about 10 hens now but I would like to get a few white egg layers when we move, just my excuse to get different breeds lol. I would like to have a total of 20 to 24 hens once we get settled at the new place. I have people asking if they can buy eggs once the girls get rolling, so that is part of why we will need more hens, we are a family of 7 and I love to bake so we go thru our fair share of eggs!

So for haveing a total of say 24 birds I could get away with 6 to 8 nest boxes? Include lots of roosting space, I will have to have room on the floor for feed and water as we can have some nasty storms in the winter. Plenty of ventalation, paint with semi-gloss and poo boards. We have our current run covered, so I got that, as large of a run as possable, I would like to try free rangeing but, we will be off of a highway and 1 of our dogs maybe is a bit to interested to leave them unsuppervised.

Did I miss anything else?

Thank you all, Im trying to list a general idea of what I would like so we can start gathering materials.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by