Planning Ahead for Winter Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shannon89815, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Shannon89815

Shannon89815 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Hello All,
    I'm getting my run area set up now and my "summer coop" which doesn't have enough sq. feet for winter enclosure when my hens won't be able to go outside due to cold/snow. How many share feet per per bird should a winter coop allow. I was thinking 10 sq ft., so if I have a dozen hens +/-, I could build 16 x 8 for 128sq. ft. and be good. Will this be sufficient?

Thanks,
    Shannon

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    That sounds very sufficient. The suggested coop area per chicken is 4 square feet. If you have more room, it is not a problem. I think in time you will see that your 128 square foot coop is getting very roomy, and chicken math will take over your reasoning...[​IMG][​IMG]................. You will end up with 32 chickens and HAPPY..[​IMG]

WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I agree that is super sized.

Funny caveman!! My coop is 8x14 and has 21 in it! I have 10 more coming and want to add a large cochin!!! That would put me at the 32 you mentioned!!

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    @caveman and @21hens-incharge must have missed the part where the OP stated:

Welcome to BYC @Shannon89815 ....
    ....10 sqft per bird inside a coop will be great for a harsh winter climate.

That 'extra' space could be wonderfully utilized for sectioning off for brooding/growing out chicks in the spring.

Just so we know, where are you located?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you assuming the birds will stay in due to the winter weather or are you intending to confine them indoors during the winter?

6. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    You could just roof the area of the run by the pop door. They will go out if you provide a snow free area.

7. Shannon89815

Shannon89815 Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2017
    Hi All,

I'm located in northeastern Nevada, US. We are high desert - 6000 ft./1800+ meters. It is possible for chickens to go outside on sunny days during winter with no or little snow, but the past two years we've had snow pack from Nov. - Spring. Of course before that it was severe drought and bare ground without snow, so who knows what we will see, but I'd like to prepare the hens for the worst rather than best case scenario.

Providing a snow free area might be difficult with wind drifts. If I created a barrier from the prevailing storm direction, aka the coop, then maybe there will be an area where snow can't reach/blow. I guess I'll just have to trial and hopefully not err too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by