Planning/Building my First ever Chicken Coop. Need help and ideas!

How many chicken coop roosts for 3 hens?

Votes: 28 66.7%

Votes: 9 21.4%

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • or more

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Jkraft

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Willow Springs, NC

I plan on getting 3 hens within the next few weeks. I have never owned chickens or really been around chickens besides at the local fair. I am really excited to start this journey and can't wait to get my girls! I plan keeping them in the coop and pen area when the dogs are out (or until I know how my dogs will act around them) and when I can not supervise them.

My husband purchased me a coop from a local yard sale site. It was made to be a Custom built duck house with 30-year metal roof. Completely water-sealed inside and out with removable roof for easy cleaning. Very sturdy and clean! Less than a year old and never used by ducks, although the previous owners chickens laid a few eggs in there. Duck house is 38”H x 47”W x 40”D. It also came with 2 horse troughs. What will I need to make it the perfect home?

I plan on making a pen area. I haven't started that yet so any ideas or helpful hints are welcome! I also plan on building 1 nest box out of 2 by 4s I got for free and plywood I will purchase. With at least 1 horse troughs I plan on turning into a dust bath. Not sure what to do with the other. I also plan on making 1 swing. Should I make chicken coop roosts? If so how many? Should I raise my coop off the ground and make a ramp?

I also started a small worm farm for compost and tasty snacks for my girls. Additionally I ordered Non-GMO Project Verified Hard Red Spring Wheat Berries | 100% Non-Irradiated | Certified Kosher Parve | USA Grown |Identity Preserved to grow sprouting fodder for snacks. Not sure about food and water dishes.

For the most part I have done a lot of research on BYC and looked at pinterest for diy things and more information. Thank you in advance for all your help!

Last edited:
I would start by ventilating the coop (I don't see where there's any ventilation other than the opening on the front).
Is there also a door on the back that you can open and clean the coop out or do you have to shovel or pitchfork the bedding out thru the roof?
I prefer to have my coops raised so that the chickens can use the area underneath for shade.
All of my chickens (save for a few of the Silkies) prefer to roost (the higher the better).

Good luck with your venture! Looks like the coop is sturdy.

3 chickens, huh? That'll change when chicken math kicks in.
wink.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice!

I will definitely add ventilation. I am picking it up tonight so I'm not sure if there is another door. I will soon find out. I think I will raise it as well. Not sure exactly how but were figuring it out as we go. I'm going to look in my woods out back and see if I can find some good branches for the roost.

3 for now but from what I hear it won't last long. I am getting 1 Jubilee English Orpington, 1 Silkie, and 1 Crested Cream Legbar.
D.gif

Best of luck. One more suggestion is before you add your chickens to the coop, disinfect it. Some folks use bleach, some use oxine AH to disinfect; I typically like to use Virkon S.

You could probably build a platform using 4x4s for the legs and 2x4s or 2x6's to make the square that the coop can sit on, then screw the house down onto the platform. Also, lots of people have recommended linoleum or something along those lines on the floor and nest box floors to make it easier to clean - that's what I did. I'm finishing up my coop and run today and picking up my girls later this afternoon, so I don't have direct experience yet. The other advice you've gotten is spot on. I think I've read on here that for run space, you need about 10 sq ft per hen (someone correct me if I'm off), so you'd want about 30 sq ft. More is usually better since you start with 3, but then it turns into 5.

Thanks Eggsoteric!

Also lindseyawest I think I will do exactly that. I just picked up a trailer to haul my chicken coop back home and got some free wood. I think i have enough to make it stand possible enough to make the pen as well. I'm going to go to lowes tomorrow and check out flooring. Congrats on your girls!

So I wanted to share how the coop has been going. It's been a lot of trial and error. My husband has been so helpful and has surprised me with some of the ideas he has! I definitely couldn't do his alone.

So far we made a platform using 4x4s for the legs and 2x4s. We also put down a tile floor, and added a roost bar. Made the door wider and taller. We cut out 2 windows on each side. Today I plan on drilling holes towards the roof of the coop for extra ventilation. I purchased hardware cloth yesterday from someone of craigslist. I hope to also get the windows complete today. I plan to line the inside of the windows with the cloth and than outside have plywood (the size of the window) hinged and a eye and hook to close the windows for the winter time. I live in North Carolina so the winters are mild compared to growing up in New York my whole life.

This week I also would like to make 2 nesting boxing that open up for easy cleaning and egg removal to the back of the coop. Once that is complete than I will paint the coop and build the run, latter to get in the coop, and decide on feeders.

This is a picture before finishing the floor.

Wider Door. Now I have to adjust the floor and remove the 2 by 4 to the correct position.

Roost bar.

Last edited:
You might want a wider roost. If you live in a place with cold winters, a wider roost (about 4 inches) will allow the chickens to completely cover their feet to avoid frostbitten toes. Also add some vents around the roof line and cover them with hardware cloth.

Thank you! Winters in Jan average 50 high and 30 low temp wise. It gets cold. I have the room to add another bar right next to it. I thought it was big enough so thank you for the advice. I plan on adding holes to the roof for ventilation do you think they need to be bigger? I was going to drill 1 inch holes along the sides of the coop by the roof.

Thanks again!

If you only make them 1 inch around, you are going to have to make a LOT of holes to get enough airflow. Each hole you make is also a possible entry point for predators, as well.

Back
Top Bottom