Planning for a duck pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Badiskhiari, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Hi guys, I am new to the forum.

I currently live in Dubai, in a villa with a fairly big yard.

I really want to keep 3-4 ducks in a duck pen I intend to build.

I wanted to know if 2.5 meters x 2 meters, or 8.2 feet by 6.5 feet is fine for the enclosure. Within those dimensions, I hope to have the coop as 0.5m x 2m or 1.6f x 6.5f and the rest an outdoor yet area, covered with chicken wire. Inside the coop I'll have 3-4 nesting areas and outside food and water bowls with a kiddie pool for swimming.

The fencing would be with wooden posts and chicken wire. Whilst the coop made wooden planks and slates.

Would this be suitable for 3-4 ducks?

Also, it would be in an area that is shaded for the majority of the day. The only predator would be a couple of feral cats, but seeing as the enclosure would be entirely covered, I don't think this would be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Badis

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Birds on the brain Premium Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    [​IMG]

That's actually a bit to small. The minimum area per duck is 2 square feet whether in an outdoor area or the coop. My coop area is wide open. Ducks aren't usually interested in nesting boxes. It definitely sounds like you have the right ideas in mind.

Best of luck!

3. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Thanks for the info Deb! Will definitely adjust to those dimensions :)

So for four ducks, would a 2m x 5m area work? (6.5f x 16.4f)

4. Debs Flock

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Sure, happy to help! Yes, that area would be good. You'll lock them in the coop at night, right? [​IMG] What kind of breeds do you have there?

5. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Perfect thank you! And yes I would lock the coop. As to the breeds, in all honestly, I am not sure. I will continue research but I won't be getting them for at least a month as we are installing a new gate and fence, but in the mean time I do intend on finding out.

In my community there are a bunch of lakes filled with ducks and other birds like gulls and flamingos. That being said, I intend to purchase 3-4 chicks, raise them, breed them, and maybe release or sell some, but obviously this is in the far distance so not sure yet.

In fact I had 1 before and it was amazing. He would go by himself walking to the lake and back every night for a couple of months, but then after summer he stopped coming, he grew a lot and the plumage changed drastically, yet I found him swimming in the lakes which was pretty cool. Its been more than a year since I lost saw him not sure what happened. He was fully yellow when I first got him, don't know if that helps with identification, and when he was older the top part was black and the bottom yellow, I will try find pictures tomorrow to upload. He also had a bizarre hair situation on his head, with a short of white crest.

But ya will investigate more before buying anything.
    Thanks again!

6. Debs Flock

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    The breeds in your location are likely very different from those here in the states. I'm subscribed to this thread so if/when you post updates, I'll see it. If you have the option, try to buy them knowing their gender. You'll only want one male. They need at least 3 females to keep them happy.

Good job on the investigating.

7. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Will do! Thank you :) !

8. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Update: I got 4 ducklings and 5 kilos of duck feed. I'm in the car right now (I'm not driving dw)
    When I get home I will upload the pics of them to try to identify them
    In other shops around the market they had mallard ducks (shiny green head, white band and brown grayish body) and then ones that are fully white with orange beaks.

For tonight I'll be keeping them in the same large container I did the first time around with some news paper on the bottom, food and water and some bakers yeast which I've heard to be necesssry. I'll keep them inside the garage for tonight.

Until the coop and pen is built, I hope to take them out in the garden with my old bird cage, I'll remove the bottom to let them be in the garden whilst being protected. And then bring them back in for the night.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  9. Debs Flock

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Congrats! Looking forward to pics. Do you know how old they are? The 2 most common causes of death for ducklings: cold & dehydration. They'll probably need a heat lamp at least overnight.

Important...do not give them bakers yeast. It's dangerous for them to ingest. I'll come back here & provide some links to threads you can read. Ducklings need a source of Niacin. The easiest way to provide it is in the form of brewers yeast, which is completely different from bakers yeast.

Some other options for outside, a rabbit hutch, an old play pen with something put over the top, if supervised you could put them in a kiddie pool without water.

Links...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

10. Badiskhiari

Badiskhiari Just Hatched

Apr 2, 2017
    Thanks for the reply!

I am not sure I'll be able to find the brewers yeast easily here, but I will try.

Sadly, I don't know how old they are, but probably max 2 weeks.

I managed to alter my old bird cage and it is now going to be their day/garden cage. I have a screen over the opening, with locks and rocks on top to weigh it down- security measures against the cats in my community and my frenchie. Now they are sleeping in their brooder in the garage. The outside temp is around 81 degrees f, but inside the garage it might be 84, so I don't think I need a heating lamp. In the day it is around 100. I will have a container thats roughly about neck deep for them constantly filled with fresh water for them to swim in and refresh.

Ill shortly send some pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by