Planning for chicks! I have many questions, and will post pics...

Pics

ILoveDaffy

Crowing
Aug 16, 2020
Midwest
After the death of Dandy, we were distraught, especially my littlest sister. It was probably one of the worst things to ever happen to us with chicken keeping. She was my littlest sister's hen, and she was sobbing saying "She was the only chicken I had." through her tears, and I couldn't let her stay like that; (I had lost 3 hens myself, all to natural causes, sudden death, Daffy, prolapsed vent, Clover, Leg injury, Poppy)So I did what just about anyone would do, I promised her another chicken. Fool that I am, I even promised her a lavender orpington (Dandy was a buff orpington.) , which I recently found are expensive, and fairly rare.
I realized that I would probably have to raise her a chick. I have never raised chicks. :heWe had gotten pullets. The more I look into it, the more it seems impossible, but I am determined to do it, and do it right, so this is the thread where I will ask my questions and (Hopefully) get answers.

My first question: How often should they be checked on? They will live at a farm with our horses 20 minutes away, we go out twice a day, morning about 9:00 or 9:30 and are out there till near 1:00, and again at 5:00.

As promised...
Behold, Dandy, from, wow, a year and a half ago, 3-4 months after we got her. She was such a blessing, even laid her first egg on Christmas Eve!
The Dand..jpg

Back
Top Bottom