Planning For Coop Renovation In Summer 2011- Advice Please! *PICS*

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
The addiction lives in my soul! I just got this great coop built for me in July, and now I'm in renovation. What do you think? I want to be able to fit 7 hens, for now heh.

Current Coop Info

- 2 Feet off the ground
- 2 Nest Boxes
- Floor 5 x 3
- Holds 4 pullets
- 3 Holes for Ventilation, 2 on either top sides of the coop, one below at the bottom. ones at the top can be covered. Both are covered by hardware cloth.
- One main door, not walk-in.
- Ramp leading up through chicken door
- Painted blue w/ white trim
- Run is 6 x 5, very hardy and predator proof, made of hardware cloth and wood. below the coop there is hardware cloth and on the side a door for changing out feed.
- Storage (feed, wire, brooms, rakes, trashbags for cleaning, bedding, oyster shells, etc) is stored behind the coop.
- Outside Nest Box Access
- 1 Roost At The Top of The Coop

Future New Coop Info!

- On the ground
- Walk-in, 6 feet high
- 4 nest boxes
- Two holes at the top for ventilation gone, have ventilation at bottom and very top. hardware cloth covered.
- Chicken door that goes to the run, with small ramp at bottom
- Still blue w/ white trim, painted "Nix Chix: The Ladies" on door
- Keep the same run, and add another identical run on other side that can be closed off when needed
- Storage still behind coop + run
- 7x 4 floor
- Heat lamp in corner for Winter
- Outside Nest Box Access
- Two parallel roosts at mid-level
- Cute little rooster handle on outside nestbox door

Thanks!
woot.gif
Any advice or suggestions? Anything I should change? I'll post pictures of the plans soon and start a thread about the progress in the summer when I start.
smile.png

Thank you so much!

Nick

*Edited To Add* Here's the coop I'm renovating (this is an old pic, now ive cleared out the run to 1 roost, a feeder and a waterer. also this was taken before i made the area behind it for storage.

From the front
56934_nixchix.jpg

From the side
56934_56934_yaya2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Wow, sounds great!
thumbsup.gif

Humm .. lemme' think ..
hmm.png

The only thing I can think of is ... MAKE IT BIGGER!
wee.gif

Haha! Oh Fluffy, I would if I could! But my Dad and I are building it and I'm paying for it alone, so I can't have it to hold 200 chickies like you LOL! And plus I suck at building-- this is my first ever THING I've built! Is that sad? Totally!​

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Yep, I understand!!
I feel insulted ( Not ReallY
tongue.png
) I don't even have a 100 .. *Sticks nose in air and walks away ...* (
gig.gif
)

LOL! Well you said you have almost that. *FEELS PROUD AND TALKS WITH A PROPER BRITISH ACCENT*​

Nick,

I would loose the heat lamp, for winter. You should not need it for warmth in winter being in Atlanta. You will then remove a fire hazard and the additional expense of operating it unnecessarily.

Other than that sounds like you have a good plan.

Good luck.

Quote:
X2 - I live in the snowbelt of NY, and I am not doing heat. Chickens wear a down jacket all year long. It's just too dangerous to have a heat lamp.

Quote:
X2 - I live in the snowbelt of NY, and I am not doing heat. Chickens wear a down jacket all year long. It's just too dangerous to have a heat lamp.

Oh, okay! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom