Planning for ducks, need help!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RkyMntnChick, Jan 17, 2017.

1. RkyMntnChick

RkyMntnChick New Egg

Aug 3, 2016
    Hey everyone!! So I have successfully made it through my first year with my 6 chickens; they are thriving well!! This year I'm am planning in quail and ducks! I've done months of research, now I just can't decide on the most important thing. Should I hatch eggs myself or should I get ducklings and where can I obtain them? Our local ranch supply stores run out fast so I'm pressed for time. Any help I can get with good duck connections would be great. I'm just looking to get egg layers. Khaki campbells, runners or Buffs. Nothing in particular and would prefer all female but may be OK with a drake if it happens lol. Any links or references? Ty!!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and congratulations on your first successful year with chickens! [​IMG]

My personal preference is to hatch my own eggs - for a number of reasons - but based on what you've said, it sounds like you might want to buy sexed ducklings...if you hatch eggs yourself, they're straight run and you're likely to get at least 50% male (I hatched a batch of 5 and got 4 drakes - it happens). I've only purchased ducklings locally and hatched my own, so can't share any insights about where to acquire ducklings, but I'm sure other duck folks will chime in.

If you haven't already perused it, there are a lot of good duck-related resources here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-fowl-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc.

Best to you in your duck adventure!

3. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    Hello RkyMntnChick! :)

I would suggest buying the sexed ducklings, to avoid ending up with lots of unwanted males. If you find that your ranch store runs out, you could always buy from a hatchery, such as one below:

https://www.cacklehatchery.com
    https://www.meyerhatchery.com
    https://www.metzerfarms.com

Good luck! I'm sure you will enjoy them.

1 person likes this.
  4. RkyMntnChick

RkyMntnChick New Egg

Aug 3, 2016

TY!! I'LL TAKE ANY RESOURCES AVAILABLE! [​IMG]

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    :welcome !!

What supply stores are near you? Tractor supply usually has khaki Campbell ducklings in spring. I would start with the ducklings, it's just easier that way, and you won't have to worry about them not hatching coz they are, uhh, hatched already :D Speaking of khakis...they are the best layers period. I got mine at TSC, they were all layin in 4 months and have not stopped, even now in winter I get an egg a day each and I don't even have to put extra light on them.

However...TSC only sells unsexed. So you may have to get rid of some extra males.... I got lucky with a 3 male - 4 female ratio, so I only had to get rid of one drake. If you don't mind eating them, or selling them on craigslist or whatever, you won't really have a problem. And you can always keep a drake or two for pretty ;)

Hope that helps, good luck!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. RkyMntnChick

RkyMntnChick New Egg

Aug 3, 2016

Thank your! How many would you recommend I start out with? I originally only wanted 4-6.

7. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Well, if you want 6 girls, I would get 10 ducks to start. 50/50 ratio, plus luck, you end up with 6 girls and 4 boys. Do you have a plan to deal with extra boys?

8. RkyMntnChick

RkyMntnChick New Egg

Aug 3, 2016
    there are several farms here that would take them off my hands as meat birds. I know how to sex ducklings but I don't know if the ranch supply stores would let me do it.

9. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah Ive wondered that myself....

10. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    There's no harm in asking :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by