planning for the cold

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bluecoop, Jul 13, 2011.

1. bluecoop

bluecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    this is my first message and am a novice chicken fan. I live in Idaho where the winters are v cold. None of the plans i've seen look very insulated and I was thinking of building a coop with nest boxes on the side for easy access. question : will a single wall of plywood at the nest box be enough or do I need to build a fully enclosed coop that I can walk in to access the eggs

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say yes to using insulation, but only the 1" thick 4x8 sheets, not really the thick pink panther stuff, but you could use that if you wanted also, and then cover with another sheet of plywood or paneling. I would also recommend going bigger on the coop and yes to being able to walk inside it. I'm building my 2nd one this weekend and I'm going way bigger than I did the 1st one.

3. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    you can also use the deep litter method to help keep your coop warm in the winter as well as a heat lamp. Also, if you have enough birds they'll heat up the coop too... don't know how cold it gets there but it gets in the -20's (celsius) regularly during the winters here in Nova Scotia and we don't insulate coops.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    How do you build a coop in a weekend? I've been busting my tail for a month now and still don't have side panel of inside panel on yet. That's frustrating.[​IMG]

Now on size, I started with a 4X8, but as I got started it grew by a foot in width to 5X8 2 feet off the ground. I will have a 6 foot peak but the outside walls are 4' 2 inches. The entire roof area is 8X10. I've extended the roof out over the nests and feed boxes. I'll get some pictures on my BYC page soon. I know one thing, working by yourself and not being a carpenter is not the easiest of things.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If someone is home throughout the day to check for eggs frequently, then exterior nest boxes would be okay. But if eggs most likely won't get checked on until after work or school, then I'd suggest inside boxes, to help keep the eggs from freezing as quickly. If you elevate them about 18-24 inches, then they take up no liveable floor space, and you can keep feeders or waterers underneath [​IMG]

6. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    [​IMG] I live in Idaho too!!

This is my very first year with chickens so I'm no help. We do have a big coop so my next boxes will be inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by